19. Welcome to Wakanda

I arrived at the office and entered Nick's office. He smiled as soon as he saw me and got up, hugging me. He kissed my forehead as he pulled away.

"How's the house?" Nick asked.

"It's in pretty good condition for not being lived in," I replied. "We really like it. Rhodey's settling in pretty well too."

"Is he there now?" Nick asked.

"No," I replied. "I dropped him off at the Tower so he could use the braces. Is there any work for me to do?"

Nick nodded. "I need you to head to Wakanda for a mission. King T'Challa wants an agent stationed in Wakanda and he requested you."

I nodded. "Okay. I'll leave this afternoon after I drop by the Tower. I'll come straight to you after it's done."

Nick squeezed my shoulder and hugged me one last time.

I pulled away and traced his leather trench coat. "I want this someday."

Nick laughed. "One day, maybe, but that's still a while away, darling. Not off with it. King T'Challa is expecting you."

I grinned. "Yes, sir."

Nick rolled his eyes and pushed me towards the door. I walked away with a small smile. I went to the Tower to say goodbye to Rhodey and Tony. When I got there, they were working on Rhodey's walking using two parallel bars. They got to the end and started talking. As I got closer, Rhodey stumbled and fell to the ground.

 As I got closer, Rhodey stumbled and fell to the ground

I ran over to help Rhodey up. He gripped mine and Tony's arms as we helped him up. He was panting and sweating.

"You doing alright?" I asked.

Rhodey nodded, gripping my arm as he panted. "I'm glad you're here, Charlie. Are you here for something?"

"I'm heading out on a mission today," I replied. "I wanted to say goodbye before I left."

Rhodey nodded, regaining his breath. "How long are you gone for?"

"I don't know. I'll still talk to you as much as I can." I looked over at Tony. "Take good care of my Rhodey, okay?"

Tony nodded. "Hopefully he'll be there to give you a good proper hug. What do you say to that, Rhodey?"

He nodded, looking at me. "Yeah, that sounds great."

"Okay." I pulled him into a tight hug. "I'll see you soon, baby. Come here, Tony."

I hugged Tony before leaving. I made sure all my stuff was strapped in before I took off in a Quinjet. It took me close to a day to fly to Wakanda. I landed on one of their many landing pads and got off. King T'Challa was waiting for me with his guard. When I got closer, T'Challa nodded to me.

"Good evening, Agent Charlie," T'Challa greeted. "I welcome you to Wakanda."

I gave a little smile. "Thank you, King T'Challa."

T'Challa stepped aside. "Follow me. I will show you to your room. Once you have settled in, we will start our business."

I walked beside him. "That sounds good."

"How's Colonial Rhodes?" T'Challa asked. "Is he healing well?"

"He's healing as well as he can," I replied. "He's beginning to walk again and doing well. The braces are helping."

"Maybe my sister, Shuri, can help design some braces for Colonial Rhodes," T'Challa offered. "She is about your age, if I am correct in my judgment."

"Probably," I replied. "How old is she?"

"Seventeen," T'Challa replied.

We entered the main building. "She's only nine years younger than me. This is a lovely home you have. It's nothing like the home I grew up in."

"We grew up on different sides of the world, Agent," T'Challa said. "Our worlds couldn't be more different."

I looked at him with a small smile. "I thought I told you to call me Charlie, your majesty."

T'Challa smiled back. "And I thought I told you to call me T'Challa. Didn't your parents tell you to respect what the government says?"

We both laughed as we continued. A young woman waited in one of the grand halls with an older woman. By the way they dressed and looked, I assumed they were T'Challa's family. As we got closer, I greeted them with a smile and a bow of my head.

The younger one spoke up, speaking in Xhosa. "Is this the agent, brother?"

"Yes, I am," I replied in the language. "I am Agent Charlie. It is a pleasure to meet you, Princess Shuri and Queen Ramonda."

"You speak Xhosa," T'Challa stated.

"Yes, I do," I replied. "I learned on a mission in a nearby region. I can speak a multitude of other languages as well, including my native tongue, Hindi. It comes with the job of being an agent like me."

"Come with me, Charlie," T'Challa interrupted. "I will show you to your room."

"Thank you, T'Challa." I looked back at Princess Shuri and Queen Ramonda. "It was lovely meeting you, your majesties. I hope to see you again soon."

T'Challa led me to a room with a few of his guard following us. He led me to a large guest bedroom with a soaring roof and wonderful designs.

"This is beautiful, T'Challa," I complimented, my fingers tracing a dresser. "Thank you for allowing me to stay here."

"It is my pleasure, Charlie," T'Challa thanked. "I will have someone collect you when the meetings are ready to begin. We will let you rest first."

I nodded. "Thank you again."

T'Challa nodded and left, his guard following. I started unpacking my stuff into the drawers. I went to the bed to lay down for a bit. It was so comfortable and fluffy. I laid still for a bit before I pulled out my phone to alert Nick that I was in Wakanda.

"Can you tell Rhodey that I'm alright?" I asked. "I can't talk to him."

"How is the palace?" Nick asked.

I looked around the room. "It's beautiful. I love the designs here. I love it. I might have to do more trips here."

"It'll make up for the vacation I stole from you a few months ago."

"Yeah," I replied. "I'd love to come here if it's okay with T'Challa. It's his country after all."

"It's King T'Challa to you," Nick corrected.

"He lets me call him by his first name," I replied, fingering a blanket. "We're cool."

"You do not say you're cool with a king," Nick pressed.

"I'd say you and I are cool," I replied.

"That's because you're my kid," Nick said. "I raised you as best as I could and I'm trying."

"When you were around, for sure," I interrupted. "But T'Challa asked me to call him by his name. I don't want to argue about it anymore. I'll talk to you again soon."

I hung up before Nick could answer. I tossed my phone aside and got up to change. I put on one of my more formal uniforms and combed my hair back into a bun. I stayed at the vanity, staring at my reflection. My features were pretty and I was decent looking.

A hesitant knock came at the door. I got up to open the door. A young servant girl stood in the doorway, a small smile on her face. Her braids were put up into two space buns and she had a few paint markings on her face.

"King T'Challa is ready for you," she said.

I smiled, nodding. "Please, lead the way."