20. A Kinda Chill Day

I walked through the hallways, enjoying myself. The palace was beautifully styled and I loved it. Everyone was nice as well and I loved how kind they were to a foreigner. Especially an agent of a secret organization.

I eventually found myself in a higher-tech area. I walked slowly down the hall, looking at all the stuff. Everything was so different and beautiful. I was beginning to fall in love with everything.

"Charlie!"

I turned to see Shuri coming down the hall. She had a large smile on her face and was dressed in casual clothes.

"Hey," I greeted. "How are you?"

Shuri grinned widely. "I'm doing great. Do you want to see my lab?"

"Sure," I answered. "Lead the way."

Shuri took me to her lab. It was high-tech and fancy. Shuri showed me around, talking about her different inventions and machines. She was a literal genius.

At the end of the tour, Shuri turned to me. "What languages can you speak?"

"German, Xhosa, Swahili, Russian, Finnish, French, Norwegian, Italian, Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, Japanese," I listed. "And of course, my native tongue, Hindi."

"You're from India?" Shuri asked.

I nodded. "Yeah. I was adopted by an American."

"Then why do you have a white name?" Shuri asked.

"I didn't have a name at the orphanage," I replied. "I wasn't given one until I was adopted at age three. My dad liked the name Charlie so that's my name."

"Orphanage?" Shuri asked.

"Yeah," I replied. "I was an orphan without a name for the first three years of my life. I still am an orphan."

"I'm sorry. I can't imagine my life without my family."

"Don't be," I replied. "I have a caring father who loves me. That's all that matters."

"Have you ever gone back?" Shuri asked.

"Okay, that's enough questions," T'Challa interrupted as he walked up. "Leave Charlie alone."

"I'm just curious," Shuri replied in Xhosa.

"Don't get after her for that," I spoke in the same language. "Is there something you need?"

"I wanted to show you the city if you allow me," T'Challa answered.

"Brother," Shuri said in a reading voice, smiling. "She's an agent."

T'Challa clicked his tongue. "Shuri, it's not like that. I am not interested. Besides, she has a boyfriend."

"What's his name?" Shuri asked.

"Colonial James Rhodes," I replied. "He's a full bird colonel with the United States Air Force. Or at least, was."

"What happened?" Shuri asked.

"He got paralyzed," I replied.

"I'll make leg braces," Shuri stated. "I'll get them done as soon as possible."

"Thank you," I said. "I was going to ask about it but I didn't know if that was something that was allowed."

"No need to be like that, Charlie," T'Challa said. "We are willing to help a brother in need. Colonial Rhodes will be in good hands with Shuri."

I nodded, smiling. "Thank you both. Can we go on that tour now? I am already in love with the castle. I can't wait to see the city as well."

T'Challa held out his arm. "Then come with me, Charlie."

I slipped my arm into T'Challa's and we left the palace. He showed me around the beautiful city. It was busy and bustling of people. It was really colorful as well. It was nothing like New York City. Everything was drab and grey.

We returned to the palace, T'Challa immediately taking me to a balcony. It looked out across the downtown area of the capital. We were given drinks by some servants and I kindly thanked them. I looked back out towards the horizon as the sun set beyond the mountains.

"Did you like it?" T'Challa asked as he brought his drink to his lips.

I nodded. "Yeah. I've never seen a city like this."

"You have been to an African country before, right?" T'Challa asked.

"Yeah, I have," I replied. "They weren't like this. I think Wakanda is very beautiful. It's nothing like the US or India."

"You were born in India, weren't you?" T'Challa asked.

I nodded. "I've been there a few times. Mostly on missions and stuff. I've even seen the Taj Mahal. It's so pretty and an amazing feat of architecture."

"It is a beautiful building," T'Challa agreed. "Our architecture is truly amazing compared to different places. It's one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to."

I smiled as I pulled my cup away from my lips. "I can see why. It's a beautiful place to have been born. I would have loved to be born somewhere like this."

"India is a beautiful place as well."

I shrugged, keeping my eyes away from him. "I was in an orphanage there. I don't exactly have fond memories of where I grew up."

"I am sorry you had to go through that," T'Challa said. "You seem to have grown past that and grew into a beautiful and kind person."

I brushed some hair away from my face. "It has definitely shaped me into who I am. The person who raised me did too."

T'Challa just smiled at me and looked out at the horizon. We chatted long into the night and far past finishing our drinks. T'Challa was a really chill guy for a king. It wasn't until late when we finally went separate ways. I went to bed and finally got a moment to chill. I had been up and around all day and I was ready for a moment to myself. I loved it in Wakanda but I wanted to go home to Rhodey.