30. Planning

I danced around with Rhodey. We were having dance lessons for our wedding and I was having the time of my life. Rhodey was a good dancer and didn't let his braces slow him down.

I, however, was a total klutz. I was tripping over my feet and stepping on Rhodey's. He was very patient with me though. He went slowly and gave pointers when needed. I wanted to be good at dancing before our wedding.

When we finished, I kissed Rhodey before going to the kitchen. Sahana was in there, cooking some food that smelled so good. I peeked over her shoulder, seeing biryani being made.

Sahana hit me with a towel. "Get out of here, street rat!"

"Auntie, I was just looking!" I exclaimed, stepping back.

Sahana waved the towel at me. "They all say that. Get!"

I rolled my eyes and hopped onto the counter. I talked with Sahana for a bit as she cooked. It was really nice to talk to her. Rhodey and Tony came in and Rhodey kissed Sahana's cheek. Tony looked at us confused.

"This is Sahana, a worker at my old orphanage," I explained. "She's helping us with the wedding. She's really nice when you aren't a rat."

Sahana glanced at Tony, eyeing him a little. "You brought in another rat."

"He's not like that, Auntie." I looked back at Tony. "She called you a rat but I wouldn't take that to heart. She always calls new people that. She called Rhodey one to."

Sahana turned to me. "Get me some plates and utensils."

I nodded. "Yes, Auntie."

I got off the counter and started getting plates. As soon as I set the plates down, Sahana started putting food on it. I handed out plates to Tony and Rhodey. I sat down with them, Sahana sitting next to me.

She watched Rhodey and Tony with watchful eyes. I translated for everyone and made sure Sahana felt welcomed among everyone. She had made me feel welcomed at the orphanage. It was the best I could do.

I helped cleaned up the plates with Sahana. Rhodey stuck around and wrapped his arms around me as I washed the dishes. I sighed as he hummed in my ear.

"I'm busy," I said. "I'll talk to you later, okay?"

Rhodey kissed my shoulder before leaving the kitchen. It was silent between Sahana and I. I could tell that she wanted to tell me something but was staying silent.

"What is it, Auntie?" I asked. "There's something on your mind."

"He loves you, baby," Sahana replied. "A lot. You are going to have a good life together."

I blushed. "Thank you. What are your thoughts on the wedding?"

Sahana went onto describing her ideas and thoughts. I listened carefully, adding what I wanted for it and what I thought was good. We went into one of the many living rooms of Stark Tower. We continued talking most of the day about the wedding and everything.

Rhodey came in around dinnertime. He had his Air Force uniform on. He kissed my forehead and Sahana's forehead. Sahana took Rhodey's face in her hands and murmured a blessing to him while placing her forehead against his.

Rhodey thanked her and sat with us. I told him about the ideas we had come up with and what we thought would be best. Rhodey nodded and gave a few ideas himself. Sahana enjoyed being with him, warming up enough to try her English skills. She wasn't very good but knew enough to have a small conversation with Rhodey. He would listen carefully and talk to her in a way that wasn't looking down on her or making her feel in a bad way.

We finished our conversation at dinnertime. We ate together and after that, I went up to my room. Rhodey joined me about a half an hour later. He wrapped his arms around my waist, kissing my shoulders.

"Tired?" Rhodey murmured.

I sighed, glad to have his presence. "Yeah, I am. Sahana and I talked a lot today and I guess that drained me a lot. I am a bit of an introvert."

Rhodey turned his head to rest it on my should. "You, a SHIELD agent, an introvert? I don't believe it."

I laughed, grabbing his wrists. "I am! I always have been. I guess it was because I don't like people very much. But I like you, so I wouldn't worry. I am marrying you after all."

Rhodey pulled away and spun me around, holding me close. "I will love you for a long time, Charlie. You're my favorite person of all time and I couldn't imagine a world without you."

I grabbed his face. "I don't think I would be able to either."

We kissed each other gently. Rhodey kept my close and held me with such a gentleness that I almost melted.

Rhodey pulled away and brushed some hair out of my face. "You're beautiful, Charlie, and I love you. I love how beautiful your soul is and how kind you are. I'm ready to marry you."

I clutched his shirt in my hands. "I am too, baby. Let's do it."

Rhodey chuckled. "Yeah, okay. Are you ready for bed?"

I shook my head. "Not yet, but I am ready to lay down. Do you want to join or do you have stuff to do?"

"I have to check in with Tony about my braces," Rhodey said.

I looked at him concerned. "Is something wrong with them?"

Rhodey shook his head. "No, it's nothing. I just need a checkup on them. They're making a weird noise sometimes if they're moved in a certain way."

I nodded. "Okay. Will you come back up here after that?"

"I was going to do some work after that." Rhodey tucked some hair behind my ear. "I'll be up after that though. Don't worry about it, baby. I'll come straight here after I'm done."

I nodded. "Yeah, okay. I'll see you later then."

Rhodey kissed me goodbye and left. I stayed in my room for about an hour before I went for a walk. I invited Sahana to come with me and I showed her around New York. She was so enamored by the city and how beautiful it was. Even though she was in her sixties, she looked around like she had seen snow for the first time.

I took Sahana to a food truck that sold dessert. Sahana had been to food trucks before but she had never been to an American food truck. Especially not a New York one either. I took Sahana over to a bench as we ate our food. Sahana was getting the food all over her face, which made me laugh. We sat on that bench for about a half an hour before heading back to Stark Tower.

I took Sahana to her room and went back to my room after that. I wrote a letter to Dad and took it down to the out mail box. I knew he'd get it somehow. I was also sure he was checking on me from time to time to see how I was doing. I hoped he knew about my wedding and that he'd show up. I wanted to see my dad again. I missed him every single day and I couldn't wait to see him again.

I got to my room and sat at my desk. I did some work and wrote in a journal. When it got too late to stay up, I got into bed with only a pair of underwear on. I tossed and turned for a bit, not used to Rhodey not laying at my side. I did eventually fall asleep, hoping Rhodey came soon.