Chapter 16: A Memory and a Discovery

What do we have here? A new chapter of course! Had to delay the Q&A, since a chapter with actual content is an obviously higher priority. Now, get readin'! -Max

??? POV

"Shit. Shit. Shit!" I said while running and cocking my gun.

We were being attacked. So many bullets were flying over our heads, it caused some of our guys to panic; but not me though. I slide and took cover next to a buddy of mine as we both waited for the opportune moment to peak and fire.

"What's even going on?!" He asks as he blind-fires his rifle at the top of our little cover.

"I dunno! Just shoot back at them!" I say as I take my chances at peaking and firing a short automatic burst, before taking cover once more.

Then, the sound of something hitting the floor could be heard across the hall; the sound of a body falling.

"Hey! I-I got one! I hit one of e-" One of the other men said, but he is cut off as he falls to the floor. Apparently, he jerked his head just a slight bit away from cover, which allowed those assholes to blast his brains out.

"Motherfu- Who do these guys think they are?!" My buddy stands and fires in a panic spray, before dying like an idiot - same as the man before him.

"Shit! Shit! Shit!" I shout as I blind fire, until my AK-47 jams. I pull down my gun and move to remove the jammed casing or bullet, but my hands struggle to find the charging handle in the darkness as they shake uncontrollably. I realise that I'm beginning to panic, and attempt to calm down by doing some deep breathes. Before I could even fix the mishap in my gun, I am hit in the chest and knocked back by what felt like a baseball - followed by a sharp pain in the spot where I was hit. I put my left hand over the spot, and feel a warm fluid that seemed to be spewing out.

The muzzle flashes from the barrels of my peers' rifles lit up the dark hall, allowing me to see what had been done to me. I am shocked yet unsurprised to find that a bullet had found its way through my chest. I kept telling myself to get up, but my body refused to do so. Fear and panic soon set in. Fear of dying, fear of not knowing what is on the other side. Was it going to be painful? Is there some god-like deity waiting for me? As I think on these, I start to lose my hearing and my sight gets blurry. My body begins to feel cold. I lie there, clutching my chest and trying to a hold of my surroundings. Despite my blurred vision, I notice the muzzle flashes becoming less and less, until there are none left.

My ears keep ringing...

Ringing...

Ringing...

Ringing...

My eyelids were getting heavy as my mind soon drifts, back towards thoughts of my own end. I make one last attempt at getting up, and succeed at sitting myself up. I look down the dark hall for a few seconds, before feeling something hit my head hard. My neck snaps back and hits the ground, although I no longer feel the impact - nor the pain that was supposed to follow. I cannot feel my face. I cannot feel... Anything.

Struggling to breath, I just stare at the darkness - as I soon, allow the darkness to take me.