02

Chapter Two —
Ghost Town

An abrupt jolt woke Rosa from her sleep, leaving her tired and confused

The lights flickered on, slowly spilling through the vehicle as it rolled to a complete stop.

Groans filled the air as the students of West Ham slowly began to stir from their sleep. Rosa carefully lifted her head from Grizz's shoulder, her neck and joints aching from the position she'd been sleeping in.

She brought a hand to her face to shield them from the unwelcome bright light, bleary eyes attempting a glance around the bus, gradually readjusting to her surroundings.

"Where are we?" Grizz slurred, leaning across Rosa to take a look through the window. He placed his hand against the rain drizzled glass, his eyebrows drawing together.

Rosa peered over his shoulder, the dim streetlights helping her to make out the unmistakable surroundings of West Ham.

"Change of plans," the bus driver announced, opening the doors. "Rock slides, the road is closed. You're back home."

Murmurs of confusion filled the bus. Rosa glanced over at Grizz unsurely, her best friend merely shrugging at the situation.

With a yawn, she rubbed her tired eyes. The two of them stepped into the open aisle space, following the line of exhausted teenagers off the bus.

Grizz headed for the baggage retrieval, ducking his head down to search for their luggage. Rosa glanced around the courtyard, expecting to see it full with parents the way it had been earlier that morning, but it was completely empty.

"Ugh," Jason groaned as he stepped off the bus, his eyes still practically half shut. "What the hell's going on, Ro?"

He rested both hands on her shoulder, resting his head against her jacket. His dark curls grazed against the side of her face, prompting her to smile, patting her sleepy friend's head sympathetically.

"Well, doesn't look like anyone was expecting us," Cassandra Pressman stated, standing at the front of the group.

The bus doors slammed shut behind them, prompting the teenagers to whirl their heads back around, watching the five school buses drive out of sight.

Grizz made his way back over to Rosa, holding his backpack, and carrying her heavy pink duffle-bag over his shoulder. "Where is everyone?"

Rosa tapped on her phone, the screen lighting up to show that she had no new notifications, which was strange. She straightened up as worry struck through her, prompting Jason to lift his head from her shoulder.

"Hey, can you guys get through to anyone?" Rosa turned her head at the sound of Sasha's soft voice. She approached them with a worried expression, her phone held close to her chest. "My parents aren't answering."