08

Chapter Eight —
Wounds

Chapter Eight —Wounds

"Sit fucking still."

"You're pressing too hard," Glenn whined pitifully, swatting Rosa's hand away for about the hundredth time.

Hastily, she removed the cloth from the bleeding cut on his head, about to lose her patience. "Just sit still and be quiet."

"Ow!" Glenn exclaimed again, his fingers wrapping tightly around her wrist.

"Glenn!" Rosa chastised. They'd been in the same uncomfortable position, Glenn sat on the edge of the bath, Rosa stood between his legs, for the past half an hour, whilst she tried to clean the wounds he'd earned from a fight in the hardware store. "Just let me clean this and then you're done."

"Fine." He pouted, allowing her to pry his fingers away. "I hope you know this is all your fault."

Rosa leaned forwards, lifting the damp cloth again. "Oh really?"

Glenn hissed at the stinging sensation, drawing back quickly from her touch. Rosa gave him another unimpressed look before she continued.

"Well, if you hadn't punched that guy, I wouldn't have had to step in, and we wouldn't be in this situ– ow!"

Glenn flung his hands out again, gripping her arm.

Rosa looked up at him, quirking an eyebrow. "You know, for a quarterback who's had plenty of nasty injuries, you really are being an awfully big baby about this."

With a defeated sigh, Glenn released his grip on her once and for all.

"And by the way," she continued. "I didn't ask you to step in, that was your own fault. I had it covered."

"Admit it, you're flattered by my heroics," he teased her.

Rosa scoffed. "You should have learned by now that I like to fight my own battles."

She placed a hand underneath his chin to steady him, carefully getting rid of the last flecks of dried blood.

"I don't learn, it's one of my flaws."

"And that's exactly why you're in this situation." Rosa took a step back, checking him over one final time. "You're all done. Reckon your head's gonna hurt like a bitch tomorrow though."

"Thanks." His fingers instinctively brushed against the throbbing purple bruise visible on his cheekbone. "How's my face?"

Rosa grinned playfully. "Still as gorgeous as ever."

Glenn bit down on his bottom lip, disguising the smile that threatened to cross his expression. Rosa was too busy wringing out the excess water from the cloth, missing the way his cheeks flushed.