24

Chapter Twenty Four —
Breathing

Rosa and Jason burst loudly through the hospital doors, their arms tight around Glenn's back as he slumped forwards

"Help!" Rosa shouted, straining to keep hold of him. "Someone help!"

Behind them, Luke was carrying Sasha in his arms, who was dangerously slipping in and out of conscious. "Help!"

Kelly rushed over to them, her eyes wide as she took in the sight in front of her. "Oh my god, this way, quick!"

She ushered them towards two free hospital beds, calling out across the room for Gordie. Luke carefully set Sasha down on the bed as Gordie rushed over to them with an IV.

"Is she gonna be okay?" Luke asked, running a hand through his hair. He took a step back, but was reluctant to move from her side, even as Kelly started to administer the IV.

Glenn's legs started to buckle beneath him, and Rosa and Jason struggled to keep hold of his weight between them, eventually hauling him fully onto the bed.

Rosa took a brief glance around her, scanning her surroundings as she realised just how many people were in a similar situation, and she began to wonder what the hell had happened to cause all of this.

"Kelly, we need another IV!" Gordie called out as he rushed over to Glenn's hospital bed. "How long has he been out?"

"Um, drifting for the past five minutes I think," Rosa replied slightly shakily.

"What's happening?" Jason turned to Gordie. "Why are they all sick?"

"We don't know," he answered truthfully, glancing over his shoulder as Kelly rushed over to them.

"Are they gonna be okay?" Rosa asked worriedly. Jason placed a hand on her shoulder, squeezing gently.

"People seem to be improving," Gordie assured.

They watched quietly as Kelly tapped Glenn's inner arm, finding a vein before she inserted the needle, hooking him up to the IV. Gordie nodded and Kelly stepped back, allowing the IV to take effect.

"We'll be back over soon to check on them," Kelly assured. "Shout us if anything changes, ok?"

Rosa nodded her head, mind spinning as she tried to take everything in. Her heart was pounding at what felt like a million miles an hour, and Rosa was struggling to keep her shallow breathing steady.

Her stomach dropped at the sight of Glenn and Sasha lay unconsciously on their beds, hooked up to tubes. Rosa's eyes began to glaze over with tears as she closed them shut, attempting to blink them away, but they were already flowing down her cheeks.

"Hey," Jason said softly, reaching out for her. He placed an arm around Rosa's shoulder, gently pulling her into a hug. "He's gonna be okay."

She moved into his arms, resting her head against his chest as soft cries escaped her lips. Rosa wrapped her arms tightly around his middle, his comforting touch and reassuring words gradually helping to slow the worried thoughts racing through her mind.