26

Chapter Twenty Six —
Conspire

"If you die, I swear to God I'm going to fucking kill you all over again

"If you die, I swear to God I'm going to fucking kill you all over again."

Grizz chuckled at Rosa's empty threat, and the fact that it made zero sense. He moved forwards to embrace his best friend into a hug, maybe the last one they'd share for a while.

This was it. The day that Rosa had been dreading for weeks.

Grizz and his group were leaving to explore for land they could use to farm, a system they could fall back on once the inevitable happened and supplies ran out. As with most people in New Ham, the memory of what happened the last time a group went out in the woods, remained engraved in Rosa's mind. She could tell that Grizz was worried himself too, even though he constantly reassured her that they were much better prepared this time.

"I'm going to be fine," Grizz promised, meeting her eyes with a smile. "You look after yourself too, all right?"

Rosa nodded, blinking away the tears forming in the corners of her eyes. She glanced over Grizz's shoulder as they moved apart, unable to quite hide the smile forming on her lips when she spotted Sam stood in the distance, waiting for them to finish their goodbyes.

Rosa's gaze drifted back to Grizz, the grin tugging at her lips. "I think somebody's waiting for you." Grizz's eyebrows drew together in confusion, but the huge grin Rosa was struggling to bite back suggested it could only be one person. "I'll leave you to it," she told him, leaning forwards to press a kiss against his cheek. "I'll see you soon. I love you. Stay safe."

"Love you too, Ro," Grizz smiled softly, their last look lingering for a moment before Rosa headed in the opposite direction, almost finding it difficult to turn away, as if this would be the last glimpse of Grizz she'd ever get.

But Rosa had to remind herself that he was going to be okay. It was a fact that they were better prepared this time, and if anybody could lead the expedition and succeed, it was Grizz.

Rosa smiled warmly as she passed Sam, signing good luck to him, one of the very few signs she knew. Rosa was really going to have to learn some more sign language to communicate with him better, especially if he and Grizz were going to get closer.

Sam responded to her with a sheepish nod, making his way over to Grizz. Rosa waited for a moment before she left, watching them both fondly for a few seconds before deciding she shouldn't intrude any further.

She left the woods hopeful that the boys would reconcile, and hopeful that the group would find land that they could use to farm.

Rosa headed back to the crowd that was waiting to cheer on the expedition crew as they left. She stood beside Sasha, who immediately wrapped an arm around her, noticing the tears glistening in her eyes.