20

Chapter Twenty —
Alone Together

Dewey's execution plagued Rosa's mind for hours

Dewey's execution plagued Rosa's mind for hours. The loudness of the gunshot, the desperation of Dewey's pleads, the sound of silence when it was all over.

It was all taunting her, over and over again. And the thoughts and images tormenting her mind were quickly becoming unbearable.

Rosa sat on the edge of her bed, gripping a tight hold of a now half-empty bottle of Jack Daniels. She'd grabbed it from the secret alcohol stash in her father's office, one that was very quickly dwindling.

Two heavy knocks sounded against her bedroom door, and before she could respond, it had been pushed open, the abruptness almost making her flinch.

She harshly wiped away the wetness of tears underneath her eyes, looking up at the figure in the doorway. Rosa was surprised to find Grizz, presuming he'd gone straight to his own room to sleep.

"Hey," she spoke thickly, not bothering to mask the fact that she'd been crying. "Everything okay?"

Rosa's eyes then fell onto the clear sealable packet he held in his hands, recognising it instantly.

Her heart plummeted.

Grizz stepped further into the room. "Rosa, what the hell is this?"

She got to her feet quickly, the sudden movement disorientating her slightly. "I can explain–"

"Drugs?" Grizz thrust the packet towards her. "Seriously?" His eyes found their way towards the bottle in her hands, and he shook his head in disappointment. "Are you drunk?"

Rosa shook her head. "No." Her mind was slightly hazy, but she could still comprehend things properly – though Grizz didn't seem convinced.

"How long have you been using?" He pressed. "Since we've been here?"

"No, no," Rosa quickly dismissed. "I haven't taken them, I–"

"Then why the fuck do you have them?!" Grizz exclaimed, his voice raising.

"Grizz, please," Rosa whispered quietly, gesturing towards the half open door for him to keep his voice down. "I got them from Campbell."

Grizz stared at her for a moment, his eyes growing even wider. "Campbell? From fucking Campbell–"

"He gave them to me at prom," Rosa continued to explain. "I didn't want them so I hid them away. I don't know why. I– I should have just thrown them away or something but–" she cut herself off, a thought interrupting her. "Why the hell were you looking through my stuff?"

Grizz breathed out heavily, running a hand over his face in exhaustion. "I was looking for my hoodie."

Rosa closed her eyes momentarily, exhaling through her nose. "I'm sorry," she said, glancing back at him. "I'm really fucking sorry."