03

Chapter Three —
Personal Jesus

Rosa threw her hands up in the air in triumph, as cheers and laughter from her friends erupted around her

Ecstatically, she turned to face Luke Holbrook, a grin plastered on her face. She held a hand out expectantly. "Pay up, Lukey boy."

"Fuck's sake," he muttered under his breath, an exasperated sigh leaving his lips as he dug into his jacket pocket, disappointed in himself for being yet another person to lose to Rosa Perez at beer pong.

Reluctantly, Luke held out a crumpled twenty dollar bill, which Rosa snatched from his hands gleefully. "Pleasure doing business with you, sir," she teased, flashing him an innocent smile as she pocketed the money she'd won.

Luke shook his head, earning a sympathetic pat on the shoulder from Clark. "Nice try, man."

"Yo, did you win?!"

Rosa turned around at the sound of Grizz's excited voice, a bright smile lighting up her expression. "I sure did."

"Nice!" Grizz slurred, holding out a red solo cup to her. "Here, celebratory drink!"

Rosa took it from his hands, downing it quickly before chucking the plastic cup behind her. She swallowed, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. "All right, which one of you losers is next?!"

"Oh, it's fighting talk now, huh?" Jason teased as she sauntered confidently back towards the group.

"Come on J, I promise I'll go easy on you." She reached for his hand, dragging him towards the table.

And so, three games of beer pong later, Rosa was absolutely smashed and fifty dollars richer.

"Hey, where you off to so fast, winner?" Grizz asked with an amused chuckle, a hand resting on her waist as she tried to stagger past him.

"Getting air," Rosa replied, swaying off balance. "Too hot in here."

"Want me to come?"

Rosa waved him off. "I'll be fine."

She stumbled again, grabbing onto his arm to steady herself. Grizz quirked an eyebrow. "You sure about that?"

She gave him an unamused look. "I can walk perfectly fine on my own, thank you very much."

"All right, all right." Grizz's hand fell back to his side. "I'll come join you in a while."

He watched in amusement as she struggled to push her way through the crowd, mindlessly bumping into the bodies swaying to the music.

Rosa was too drunk to care, setting her sights on the door, where fresh air beckoned her. She continued to weave past people, not paying much attention to where she was going, until she ended up slamming into somebody's chest.