18

Chapter Eighteen —
Guilty

Rosa sat beside Gordie in the town hall, tapping her pen lightly against the wooden table in front of her

Across the room, Dewey was seated with Helena, who was acting as his defence lawyer for the upcoming murder trial.

Allie had proposed the idea of a trial a few days ago, which Rosa thought was a fair idea, right up until she asked her to participate in it. As Rosa had the most experience in law, with her parents both having worked in that job sector, she agreed, but swore firmly she wouldn't act as defence attorney for Dewey, telling Allie she wouldn't have it in herself to give him a fair trial. So instead she was made prosecutor, following in the footsteps of her mother's job.

"This is the trial of Greg Dewey, who is accused of the murder of Cassandra Pressman the night of June 23rd," Allie announced into the microphone, allowing silence to settle within the room. "Rosa will be the prosecutor. Helena is defending Dewey." She looked towards the jury. "And you guys have to listen to everything carefully. And at the end of the trial, you'll decide if he's guilty or not. Everyone got it?"

Rosa met Helena's eyes across the room, both girls giving each other a faint nod before returning their focus back to Allie. The trial began, and Rosa was first to speak, calling Gordie up to give his view on the evidence he'd collected during his investigation.

"Those were found near Cassandra's body on the morning after she died." He held up a glass jar, which had two bullets encased in it, before handing it over to the jury. "I found them. They're the two casings to the two bullets that killed her. Not the actual bullets. You know, the casing get ejected after each bullet is fired. The casings remain intact," Gordie explained. "If you notice, they have a headstamp which indicates that they were made by a particular manufacturer. It's a company called Precision Target. I mean, they have 'PT' on each of them. Now, this is the gun that was found when the Guard raided Dewey's house." He indicated to the weapon. "Now, there's two bullets missing from the clip, and the bullets that remain have a visible headstamp. PT," he paused for a moment, allowing the information to sink in. "They match exactly the bullets that killed Cassandra."

"This is bullshit!" Dewey declared.

"Dewey," Allie warned.

"They planted that!" He protested.

Allie's eyes hardened, addressing him once more. "Dewey."

"Hey, man, shut up," Jason cautioned, leaning forwards to make his presence behind Dewey known.

Dewey shook his head, muttering to himself as he slumped back in his chair. "This is bullshit."

Helena shifted forwards, glancing at Dewey, then Rosa, before moving from her seat. "Stop." Helena held a hand up, making her way towards the jury. "I have some questions." She turned to Gordie. "Does this prove that Dewey's gun is the gun that shot Cassandra?"