𝗶𝘅. MEMORIES CUT LIKE KNIVES.

MEMORIES CUT LIKE KNIVES.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

LOST IN FIRE (book three)

°• CHAPTER NINE •°

" I CAN'T EXPRESS HOW
GRATEFUL I AM FOR YOU. "

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

        The bright screen of Monty's computer was beginning to burn Harley's eyes. She hadn't been able to sleep, not since she had watched Kara shooting at the defectors. She had tried to justify the order Octavia gave her again and again, going over the facts in her head until it ached. She had to do it, didn't she? Harley knew, remembering what Echo said, that Diyoza never would have believed Octavia would just let her traitors go. It was the only way to keep Echo safe too and ensure her mission to deliver the chip Monty gave her to Raven so they had an advantage in this war. But the other thought screamed at Harley, eating at her, telling her it was wrong and she shouldn't rationalize what cruel thing was done.

But the truth was, it was in the past. Harley can't go back and make Octavia undo it. She knew it wouldn't cause a rift between them either, not when there's not a thing on this dried out planet that could. Harley still loved Octavia with all of her heart, even when she's questioning the leadership decisions she's made. Echo made it on to the ship safely at the sacrifice of people running away in hopes of having a better life, and for now, Harley can use that alone to excuse the choice Octavia made.

"Bellamy, Harley. You've been staring at that all night." It was Harper speaking gently to the two with a sigh as she circled around the table. "Go, get some sleep. Okay? I got this," she offered kindly.

"Its been eight hours," Bellamy muttered tiredly. "Raven could have built a cathedral by now."

Rubbing a hand down her face, Harley sucked in a deep breath. "You don't know what's happening there, Bellamy," she pointed out. "We have to be patient and give it time." It was easier said than done when Harley knew she had been getting agitated from the wait of Echo finishing, but she knew complaining with Bellamy wouldn't solve their problem.

"They'll get it done," Harper added in agreement.

"I know." Bellamy nodded. "I just wish it was me over there." Harper gave him a pitiful look, patting his shoulder.

"Me too, Bellamy. My brother is there," Harley tried to sympathize. "But we're doing our best here."

But Harley isn't given an answer, as Bellamy jumped in surprise when he hears the door to the control room slam open. Harley looked over her shoulder to see that it was Octavia, Indra following behind her. "Well? Any word?" Octavia questioned them, her sight locked on her brother with intensity.