𝘅𝘅𝘅𝗶𝘃. ADJUSTMENT PROTOCOL.

ADJUSTMENT PROTOCOL.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

LOST IN FIRE (book three)

°• CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR •°

" DON'T MAKE ME KILL YOU.
PLEASE. "

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

        Harley was quickly becoming tired of being knocked out and waking up in a foreign place again and again. How many more times could this happen? She groans at the thought and the slight, dull ache in her head. She's grateful when she opens her eyes and blinks the blurriness away that it's still night. There's no bright glow that'll burn her vision. Harley realizes soon she's struggling to take a deep breath full enough to fill her lungs because there's a gag in her mouth and she can't roll over from her position on the floor because her wrists were tied with a rope that rubs painfully at her skin. Harley bites down on the gag and after a bit of fumbling, finds enough strength to push herself to rest on her knees.

"... Today, we purify Sanctum. Adjusters, go forth and find the nonbelievers. Bring them here. If they resist, you may take their lives," a woman's calm but cold voice orders as Harley surveys the scene. Her people, including a few of the Children of Gabriel, had brought themselves to their knees as well in the same state she was. And the Prime's flock, well, Harley believes they must have lost their minds with every candle they lit.

They must have refused to accept Bellamy and Priya's answers. They still believed the Primes were Gods. Which means they were in a lot of trouble.

The woman who had been speaking stands in front of her hostages and smiles so wide that Harley feels a chill. "Good. You're all awake. Let's begin." Harley's heart skips as she passes her to kneel on her other side where Layla was crouched. She slowly unravels the gag in her mouth before speaking like a controlled robot. "Do you or do you not believe in the divinity of the Primes?"

Layla's lips curl into a sneer. "You don't need a potion to find out my truth, Witch," she spat. "Primes are not Gods. They are liars and murderers."

No one sees the knife until it's too late, and the blade slid across Layla's throat.

Nelson's muffled cries overpowered Harley's own. She flinches as Layla falls close enough to her legs for the blood to seep through the carpet as the puddle of crimson starts to stain her denim pants. There's enough of it to feel it soak her skin. Harley sinks her teeth tighter into the gag like it could help her choke down a sob. That was going to be all of them.