Lightning | 26

Y/N's POV

"Shove it in your mouth! This is an emergency!" Hoseok scuttled down the stairs, clasping two life jackets in both of his hands. He threw one onto the bed and instructed me on how to put it on.

I stuffed the sandwich hastily into my mouth, almost choking myself by how fast I was chewing. As Hoseok ordered, I placed the life jacket over my head before following him onto the deck.

"What's the matter? We're arriving to Meadshore tomorrow and you're already telling me what to do. Can't I just eat in peace-" My rant ended as my eyes wandered to the dim sky, "Oh shit."

"Y/N, get the buckets-"

hiss.

There was a sudden, strong gale swirling around the boat, its crackles becoming louder and louder as we ventured further into the waves. Eyeing the seascape, I spotted a flashing string of white being shot down from the sky, landing somewhere in our route ahead. I just about heard its slight boom as it rung in my ears, progressively perturbing my senses.

Then I spun towards the side of the boat to look closely at the waves. A day ago, they were calm and settling - I didn't want to leave the waters back then.

But, today, I wanted to get out. Peril and danger was in my mind once I witnessed the waves destroying everything in its path, also seeming to be increasing in size.

Unwillingly, my imagination played a clip of our boat potentially sinking into its treacherous depths. Our bodies would drop to the abyss, maybe being unfound and forgotten. 

Just like my two loved ones...

Shit. I don't want to turn out like them.

hiss.

"Y/N!" I was snapped out of my trance by Hoseok's frustration, "Get the buckets from the bathroom and close all the windows and doors!"

"Yes, captain." I nodded my head and bolted my way to the cabin.

Once I entered the bathroom, I instantly closed the window shut before foraging for the buckets. I scavenged the whole place, wary that I might've ran out of time, but I eventually found them behind the toilet.

"There you are!" My face twinged at the grime at the bottom of the buckets, filled with widespread mould. There were even some barnacles on the sides, causing me to emit a strange, regurgitated noise. "Let's get out of here." I left the bathroom, closing the other windows and doors in the cabin and triple checking if they were secure enough.

I soon arrived back to the deck, faced by a vexed Hoseok, who was decelerating the boat. Turning on his heel, his expression quickly changed and he released a small smile, commanding me to be in bailing duty.

"So, whenever there's water in the boat, you scoop it back up into the sea. Alright?" He nibbled on his lip nervously, seeing how my arms trembled, almost slipping the bucket from my grip, "Baby, everything will be fine, okay? I'll make sure everything will be alright."

"Why are you slowing down? The waves are getting bigger..." I peered to the front of the boat, "Can you speed up?"

Hoseok let out a sharp exhale and stared straight into my eyes, like he was asking for my approval, "Just trust me."

"But-"

"Hmm?" 

"Okay...I trust you..." I eventually accepted and trudged towards the back of the boat to look out for any incoming surges.

hiss. hiss. hiss.

The wind rushed through my ears whilst the sky mutated into an even darker color. Flickering strikes would pierce through the sky from afar, contrasting the blackness with a vivid light. It came with a penetrating rumble, louder with each thunderbolt as it stealthily and successfully hunted down for its next victim.

Crash.

The waves heightened, hitting parts of the stern and cascading down onto the deck. Already slippery, I almost stumbled whilst walking around. But, I started to vigorously scoop the water into the buckets, making sure that they were decently filled until I plunged them back into the sea. The gushes stayed unabated as more water pooled around the floor, making my job even more difficult.

Only after three buckets, my arms were worn out. I told myself to keep going, but, somehow, I could only manage to fill up half of each one. The deck was wetter than before, as I regularly found myself staggering between each side of the boat.

"This is bullshit. I can't do this!" I complained to myself, accidentally splashing the bucket of sea water onto my life jacket, "Fiddlesticks!"

Smash!

"WHAT THE-" I blinked several times whilst my eyes pained slightly. My peripheral vision caught a much larger lightning strike, nearing the boat and blinding my eyesight temporarily. I involuntarily finched and slipped onto the deck, my back also aching from the unexpected, hard crash. The lightning bolt only lasted for half a second, but its impact was menacing.

Laying there for a few moments, I was then charged with sudden determination. Lifting myself up, I clasped on all the buckets before loading every one of them to the brim with water. I threw it over the railings to the raging sea and repeated the tiring process.

It had been a few minutes and the storm didn't seem to falter, but was aggravating and loudening within each second. No matter how hard I tried, the boat was flooded with water, nearly reaching my ankles. It especially wasn't easy with the boat ferociously lurching along with the rough waves. Sometimes, I would be hurled backwards, delaying my bail duty even more.

"This is torture!" I squealed, already fed up. Even with my efforts, the waves were stronger than me, increasingly flooding the rear end of the boat. "I'll go to Hoseok." I left the buckets lying in a random place before lumbering towards the bow.

"Y/N! I said you were in bailing duty!" His voice was in his maximum volume, trying to talk to me in the ruckus of the storm, "Get back to it-"

"I can't do it! I don't want to do it!" I pleaded desperately. My anxiety and distress were in its high and I began to cover my ears to block out the frightening noises incoming, "Please! I wanna go home!"

"Baby, you'll get there, just..." He stopped once he heard a thundering bang, conquering our hearing, like it was an ongoing, incessant drum, "You'll be fine, I promise. Just keep trying-"

"No! I shouldn't have came here with you! This wouldn't have happened-"

"Babe, calm down!" Veins popped out of his hands whilst he held onto the ship wheel more tightly, the patience in his voice running low.

"Fine! But, look, we're gonna die either way-"

"No, we won't!"

"Yes, we will-"

SMASH!

Then, all of a sudden, I saw darkness.

And the last thing I heard was his voice.

"Y/N! Fuck." 

~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: 2 more chapters left!

There's also a new cover~ What do y'all think of it?

Thank you for reading this far and I love you ❤