Foxfire

I walk towards Kira and sit on the bed next to her. Scott stands next to me as we look at the book Kira had in her hands. She opened the book to reveal a white fox. She turned the page. This picture had two foxes. All around them were sparks.

"That looks like what happened to you at the power station." Scott said.

She looked up at us. "When a kitsune rubs its tails together it can create fire or lighting. It's called foxfire. I don't have any tails."

"It would have been really cool if you did. Not gonna lie." I tell her. She lets out a small chuckle at my words.

"The sun's setting." Kira tells us. Both of us look to the window. The sky's turning into pinks and oranges. It looked really pretty. I wanted it to stay like that, and not just because when it leaves bad things are gonna happen.

"Are you scared?" Scott asks her.

"No. When I'm with you two I feel safe." She tells us. I let out a small smile at her. "I'm supposed to be back by dinner."

"I don't think you're going to make it." I tell her.

"What am I supposed to tell them?" She asks.

"Tell them you're going on a date." Scott suggested. I turn my head to look at him.

"With who?" She asks.

"Just make up a name." Scott shrugged.

"Don't listen to him." I say. "Just say you lost track of time while studying with us."

"Yeah. That sounds like a better idea." Kira told me.

I hear Scott scoff. "Gee. Thanks."

"Don't sound so offended, Scotty." I smile. "You know your plans usually suck."

Scott was about to respond when he turned his head towards the window. He looks back at us. "My mom's back."

Scott walks out of the room. Kira and I get up off the bed and follow him. We walk down the stairs and into the kitchen. All of us come to a stop when we see it wasn't Melissa who came here. It was Agent McCall.

"What are you doing here?" Scott asked him. "And why do you still have a key?"

He looks up at us. "Funny you mention keys. Because while I have a key to this house, I'm not exactly sure how you got a key to my office."

He opens up his laptop that was sitting on the counter. The screen lights up and a picture of the three of us pops up. It was when we used his laptop to charge Kira's phone. This isn't good. The three of us stay silent as Agent McCall looks at us.

"Let me help you out here. This kind of thing usually begins with something along the lines of, "It's not what you think." Or, "I can explain." Agent McCall says. I see the room go darker making me look towards the window. The sun was setting.

Scott noticed it too. "Dad, let me help you out. You need to leave."

"I will." He said. "With a satisfactory explanation."