Deputy Asshat

By the time we had dropped off Malia, Kira, and Lydia, Derek was passed out next to me in the back seat. It wouldn't be that bad if he wasn't almost 6 foot tall and laying on top of me. If that wasn't the bad thing, it was also raining. Hard. When we arrived to the clinic, Scott picked up Derek and brought him into the clinic. Deaton and I cleaned his table for him to set Derek on. Deaton also had a blanket for him.

Deaton looked at the young Hale I'm front of us. "Wow."

"Wow?" Stiles looks up. "Wow as in, "I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do," kind of wow? 'Cause that's the kind of wow we were hoping for."

Deaton glances over to Stiles. "I think you might be overestimating my abilities."

"He's cold." I say as my hand brushed his. "Really cold."

Scott looked at Deaton. "Do you think this is permanent?"

"I'm not sure a medical diagnosis is even adequate." Deaton answered. "This is well beyond my experience."

"So what do we do with him?" Stiles asked.

"Until he wakes up. Probably not much." Deaton answers. "It might be best to leave him with me. He'll be safe here."

"You mean from Kate?" Stiles says.

Deaton looks at us. "If she's alive and she is what you say she is, she won't be able to walk past that gate."

"Why would she want do this to him?" I ask.

Deaton sighs. "Knowing Kate, it's probably for a reason that won't be any good for anyone but her."

"And bad for everyone else." Stiles scoffs.

"You guys should probably go home." Deaton suggests. "He doesn't look to be in any danger. So maybe the rest of you should get some sleep? It is a school night, and you all need to start taking care of your own lives again."

"Someone should stay with you." Scott says.

"I'll stay." I speak up. The three of them look at me. "What? Unlike you two, my grades are fine. Despite missing a few classes."

Stiles shook his head. "I'm so not okay with this."

"Guys, go." I demand.

"No." Stiles argued.

Scott places a kiss on my lips. "Text me if anything happens."

"Will do." I smile.

"Nope, still not okay with it. Not going anywhere." Stiles said. Scott grabbed Stiles' shoulder before dragging him out of the clinic. "All right, just 'cause you're stronger..."

×××

I ended up passing out in one of Deaton's chairs while watching over Derek. The few times I woke up he hadn't moved an inch. This time when I woke up to check on him, it was light outside. Deaton was checking Derek's pulse.

I stand up and stretch. "How is he?"

"His heart rate is alarmingly high." He tells me.