Chapter 4- Sentiment

(Word Count: 1247)

(A/n: Now we're going back to (Name)'s point of view.)

I smiled as Loki let me play freely with his hair. We were sitting on his balcony overlooking the beautiful sight of Asgard below. I was braiding small sections of the front and pulling it back with pins so it wouldn't fall in his face.

"(Name)," He started quietly, as we started most conversations. I hummed in response as I began to braid a section on the other side of his head. "Your mother is Midgardian and your father is of Asgard. I'm afraid this might be rude of me to ask... I know familial relations can be personal."

"You may ask," I ushered gently, "I'm nothing but proud of my family even if my father's side of the family never does visit my mother's side. Both families love me very much."

Loki smiled at my joy. He was glad I was so happy here. In the past, he remembered, you had lost your families to Thanos. "I was only wondering about your age. Midgardians... they do not... last. Their lives are fleeting in comparison. I'm only worried that you might be... mourning."

It was true. I was born over a thousand years ago. A Midgardian couldn't hope to live even a fraction as much. But I wasn't sad as I slowly explained it to Loki, "I miss my mother sometimes. She did raise me until she passed. Then I came to live with my father. I began working for Queen Frigga. She's always been beyond lovely and such a mother to me. But, I've always visited Midgard. My mother had more family. Each generation of (last name)'s all knew of my mother's acts with the Asgardian man. So each time I returned, I was welcomed with open arms. I have so many nieces and nephews I couldn't count. But yes... they all do pass away too quickly."

I pinned that strand of his hair back and he finally turned to look at me. I could see the concern built in his eyes. "You're sad."

"Loki, I... I mean, it's difficult to not be sad knowing you can never again see the woman who gave birth to you and raised you the first 90 so years of your life." I was interrupted as he engulfed me in a hug. I smiled at his efforts to make me feel better and I hugged him back to let him know it was appreciated. "Look, it's been over a thousand years like you said. I've come to terms with what I have and don't have. I have my dad, his girlfriend, Queen Frigga is almost a mother to me, I have Thor, and I have you, Loki. I'm happy on Asgard and on Midgard."

He caressed my cheek with a smile. "I'm glad to hear-"

"(Name)?"

I looked up and found Thor standing in the doorway of Loki's room. I quickly pulled out of Loki's arms, eagerly going to Thor with a smile. "You're back so soon! I'm glad! I was worried you'd be caught up on Midgard for a while. Those Midgardians are so troublesome."

"Really? You seemed to have had enough company," Thor sharply replied as his narrowed gaze settled on Loki who was looking over Asgard rather than at the two of us.

I immediately caught on to the jealousy in Thor's voice and I immediately defended Loki, "He didn't ask. Your mother asked me to spend time with him. You were the only one willing to be with him when he returned home and after you left he was alone. I promise it was just a job from Frigga." I noticed Loki seemed depressed by my words, clearly thinking of himself as just a job to me. I sighed. It was so difficult to please both Princes. "I admit, I became good friends with Loki while you were away, but that made the pain of being without you lessen. I love you. You know I would do anything for your family."

Thor still looked tense as his stare never left Loki. He then said harshly, "I'd like to speak with my brother alone." He glanced at me and I quickly knew to not dawdle around and I escaped to the hall. However, that didn't mean I couldn't hear the thump of Thor shoving Loki into the wall, nor anything else that was said. "Loki, you filthy trickster! Why? Why would you do this to me?"

"I've done nothing, brother. It's just as Lady (Name) said, we're friends," Loki managed to respond perfectly, so I knew Thor at least wasn't choking him to death. "You know I couldn't stay away."

"But to try and steal her from me. I thought you to be above this."

"And I thought you to be above your childish ways, yet you're still with that mortal woman. Am I to let (name) suffer alone while you court behind her back?!"

I leaned on the wall behind me, biting back a sob as I covered my mouth. No. I had to continue to listen. I had to find out what they were talking about... and if it was true. I needed to hear Thor deny Loki's words.

Thor definitely hit Loki before he growled in response, "You leave Jane out of this! You visited that alternate future and fell in love with (name). You come here and think you can take her away again in this time?! (Name) is a strong woman of the palace and will take her place as my wife, the rightful Queen of Asgard! You stay away from her, brother."

He didn't deny a relationship with this mortal. While I knew it wouldn't last more than a hundred years at the most, I couldn't help but feel betrayed.

"I don't want to see you hurt her again! I do not need to be her lover, but I vowed to protect her in this time!"

I didn't understand all this timeline stuff they were talking about. Perhaps it was something to do with Midgard. But regardless, I truly felt torn apart inside. Thor was cheating on me... Loki was trying to protect me... but I just wanted to be away from everything. Wiping furiously at my falling tears, I rushed away from Loki's chambers. It was their fault for not closing the door...

I rushed out of the palace and made my way onto the sandy shores of the beach. I sighed before I took in a big breath of the salty air. "Oh, Great Heimdall... do not reveal my location now, I beg you." Should they grow worried with my absence, I hoped Heimdall would at least not reveal where I was hiding away. All I wanted was to simply be alone and figure things out for my own.

The sun was beautiful over the ocean. It was so relaxing. It was just the thing I needed. I sat beneath a group of trees on a patch of grass. If only life was only so peaceful... I truthfully never wanted to face them again with what I learned today.

I leaned back on the grass and shut my eyes. Frigga was the only one who could possibly convince me to go back. But I didn't want to return... I could stay lying beneath these trees, listening to the sound of the ocean, and breathing in the scent of the saltwater for the rest of my days.