Chapter 5- Pain

(Word Count: 1357)

I awoke to the feeling of someone shaking my shoulders gently. "Do wake up, little (Name). It's alright to come back to the palace now. Thor is away once again." I opened my eyes and found Frigga on the ground beside me, gracing me with her comforting smile as she helped me sit up. "Loki's told me all about Thor and his Midgardian. However, I don't believe this to be more than another of Thor's games."

I nodded slowly, looking back at the moon reflecting against the ocean. It must have been very late at night. "Thor's gone?" Did that mean he didn't feel concerned or worried about me missing?

"His friends needed help across the nine realms. I told him to go on and that I would handle finding you. Of course, Heimdall can't keep secrets from his queen." Of course, that's how she found me. And Loki was confined to the palace so he couldn't even try to search for me. He was probably worried... "Are you okay, little (Name)?"

I adored her cute name for me. I may not be as little as I used to be, but I was fond of her title for me. I smiled slightly. "I am, Queen Frigga. Thank you for coming to find me. I hadn't realized I was here for so long."

"Yes, well, you are a part of our family. I cannot leave you all sad and to yourself." She took my hands and helped me off the ground. I genuinely smiled at her. I guess I didn't have to be married to be apart of their family.

I happily went back to the palace with Frigga and wished her a goodnight before returning to my room. I didn't run into Loki and decided that I would simply see him again in the morning and let him know I was alright.

It was certainly a long night for me and I was nothing but grateful when the sun rose and I dressed in a beautiful dress. With what happened the day before, I had no doubt that Loki would be upset. I had gotten closer to him over time, but friends are all we were, and I was concerned for my friend.

I hesitated, but I brought my hand up to knock on his door. But before I could back away, the door swung open and my fist knocked into his chest. "Ah- Loki," I looked away quickly with red cheeks. "Sorry."

He smiled gently at me. "It's fine. Did you need something this early in the morning? I hope you're alright."

Of course, he was always more concerned about me than anything else. Was Thor right? Did Loki love me? I felt bad... I didn't love him in return. But I quickly responded to him, "No, no. I'm fine. I was just... I was worried about you. Not that- I mean- I just didn't want you to be concerned about me, is what I'm trying to say. I'm fine, Loki."

He tilted his head, clearly confused about my rambling. "Are you certain? I was concerned when you didn't return last night."

"Yeah..." I rubbed my arm. I couldn't admit I was eavesdropping on them. He would know that I knew he loved me... "Seeing Thor so jealous over something so trivial makes me upset. Thor just needs to understand that I can hang out with his only brother! So... I guess... I should understand when he wants to hang out with other women."

"No," Loki's commitment behind the word startled me. "You should not have to settle for Thor's behavior. (Name), if you ever are in need of anything I ask that you come to me. I'll always be here for you. I'll always protect you no matter what."

I smiled at him and settled with wrapping my arms around his neck. "You really are my best friend in all of Asgard, Loki. You're so thoughtful and sweet and really are such a prince. Thank you so much."

It was the truth. I couldn't love him the way he loved me, so I told him exactly how I did feel about him. He was really the best of friends and I hoped he could accept being that in my life. His nose nuzzled into my hair as he held me tightly. "I love you very much, (Name), and will do my best to fulfill the role of being your best friend. I will not disappoint."

I smiled, leaning my head against his chest. "I have a feeling you won't."

We were happy just like that. Months went by and he never tried to push any kind of relationship, but I had to admit he was a very physical guy. Any chance he got, he would hold my hand or have me in his arms. I accepted these playful touches as a friend and Frigga was very happy with my service to Loki.

Even when Thor did occasionally return, we acted as though nothing had changed between us. I did, after all, still love Thor. He never truly did anything against me to warrant my anger. It was evident that he loved me as well, but Loki wasn't wrong. It wasn't the same... Thor was distracted and I suppose I felt hurt that he still never brought up his human... friend. Was she really as much to him as Loki suggested?

Thor obviously noticed a change in me as well, but he strongly mistook it for something completely untrue. He had Loki sent to the dungeons for a week for supposedly using his magic to seduce me. I was angry with Thor for this, but in order to help Loki, I had to cater to Thor's desires since he seemed jealous of Loki and wanted me all to himself.

One day, however, after another of Thor's disappearances, he returned with a woman of Midgard. My heart broke immediately at the sight. Loki was right, and now I couldn't run to him for comfort. He was stuck in a cell down in Asgard's dungeons. So I went back to the comforts of my room. There was nowhere else for me to go- unless I was willing to visit the dungeons which Loki told me not to do even for him.

I would've perfectly stayed in my room until Loki was let free, but the shaking of the palace made me shoot to my feet. I had a dagger made of light energy already formed in my hand as I rushed out of my room and down the hall. I had no idea what was going on so my first priority was to find Queen Frigga and protect her with my life.

"Your majesty!" Her door was wide open and I panicked. I rushed into the room and paused at seeing her restrained by a dark creature. I stared with wide eyes and they looked at me. I saw the danger. I knew what was going to happen before I even lunged forward. "Monster!" I screamed as it impaled her torso, tears blurring my vision as I sliced at the dark elf that was standing there.

He narrowly avoided me, the beast knocking my weapon aside as it threw me back. I screamed and was sent crashing to the ground with a long cut going up the side of my face. It was searing. It burned. I couldn't see. I was waiting helplessly for the killing blow, but a shout caught my attention.

"NO!"

I didn't dare open my eyes. I heard a crack of thunder before the sound of a ship escaping. I couldn't open my eyes, it hurt too much.

There were footsteps and that was the last thing I heard before I lost consciousness.

(A/N: Poor you. ;-; Things need to calm down for you. You're suffering too much.

ALSO, I started my One-Shot book last week so I have one chapter up about Loki and a SHIELD Agent reader! Check it out if your into those sorts of one-shot things. Who knows, maybe you'd like to request something. 😙)