Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

I sat in my hut one night, looking through the window at the raging bonfire in the centre of camp.

The sky was eerily dark, the stars for once not kissing the dark blanket above us all.

I knew my eyes are naturally supposed to grow irritated the longer I stare into something bright, like the bonfire, but that was not the case. I felt nothing. This fire was part of me; how could I look away from a part of me?

I drew in a breath, held it for three seconds, and then I lazily exhaled. It alarmed me to feel how cold my breath was. Perhaps it was because of Pan's training.

It's been about a couple of weeks since Pan had first started training me to control whatever insane power I had, and so far, the progress was actually great.

Pan was impressed, and I don't know what it was, but seeing him so satisfied brought peace upon me.

The arguments between us gradually decreased, and at the moment, it was safe to say that neither of us wanted to rip off the other's head.

However, that did not stop my mind from wandering over to treacherous territory. What is Peter Pan's story? Who is he and why is he the way that he is? What was he hiding from the Lost Boys and I? What was his wicked plan?

It aggravated me how I was incapable of knowing anything about him, and yet, he seems to know so much about me. I let out an irritated sigh as I continued staring at the fire in the fire pit in camp.

Everyone seemed to be busy doing something. I knew that it was Connor's turn to cook us dinner, and he was in the supply hut seasoning the chicken that was hunted down.

Luke was probably in his room moping around grudgingly like he always does in his spare time. Jason and Jake were fetching some wild berries and I saw Pan take Felix with him earlier for a walk.

My eyes flickered over to Pan's hut and my mind instantly made the ultimate rule breaking decision. Maybe all my unanswered questions will be answered in that hut. The curiosity was literally eating me up alive, and my limbs itched desperately to move towards it.

I knew I wasn't allowed to go in there, but the reason why I wasn't allowed in there was enticing. I was so certain that it wasn't just to respect Pan's privacy; everyone knew he was hiding something from everyone.

Cautiously, I got off the chair I was seated on and quietly walked over to my door.

I stepped outside and was greeted by the cold breeze as it gently slapped my face, instantly cooling me down. I inhaled the damp scent of wet grass as my bare feet slowly moved forward. I tugged on the strings of my cloak nervously and chewed on my bottom lip as I drew nearer and nearer to Pan's hut.

I gulped as I eyed his wooden door carefully. Should I be doing this? So many things could go wrong and I wouldn't hear the end of it from Pan.

I rolled my eyes and placed my hand on his doorknob. I'm Elisa Emerson. I never get caught, well except twice in my life.

I shook my head and drew in a deep breath before I twisted the doorknob and pushed the the door open.

The hut was dark, and I could barely see anything, but thankfully, that wouldn't have to last. I cautiously stepped inside and shut the hut's door behind me. Inhaling a deep breath, I stretched out my palm before me and ignited the fire through my fingertips.

I sighed in content. I was like a blowtorch - the woman on fire. My eyes darted around Pan's hut.

His hut was about three times larger than mine. There was a small brown couch in the centre, with a small olive green rug in front of it. On top of that rug was a wooden coffee table that had a black vase on top of it. Inside that vase was a single white bell flower.