Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One

Later that night, after everyone had gone back to their huts for some well deserved rest, I sat alone by the blazing blood-red fire, never daring to look away from it.

I had so much on my mind since I've last seen my brother, who was currently somewhere deep in the forest where all the bamboo cages were.

It was so damn confusing. I remember I was told several times that Keith was killed by an explosion during the war. I am excused to feel every type of emotion right now since I was given proof that he's been alive this whole time.

I was astonished, hurt, outraged and quizzical.

I felt someone sit oddly close beside me on the log in front of the bonfire, and I lifted my head to find Pan's face extremely close to mine.

Ultimately, I smiled. It became a habit to smile whenever he was around. Pan gave me a tiny smile in return and kissed my cheek softly, his hand gently pressed against the back of my head.

"How are you doing love? I heard what happened from Felix."

I sighed deeply and shifted my gaze back to the fire.

"Yeah. I don't know what to do. I just - I was convinced he was dead for about six years now - and now he's back? I just don't get it. Like, was he even dead in the first place? I know people don't come back from the dead, but I've seen magic beans, evil witches, fairies, evil queens with magic, Neverland, a boy who's literally linked to an island - so anything is basically possible." I ranted and stopped when I saw Pan grin at the mention of him and he chuckled lightly.

When he was done laughing, he smiled at me and placed his hand on my knee and squeezed it encouragingly.

"Talk to your brother, Elisa." He said sincerely.

My eyes widened in disbelief. "What? No! Why would I do that?"

Pan leaned backwards a little as he intently stared at me.

"Well, it's obvious you've got plenty of unanswered questions which only your brother can answer. Elisa, I want you to be at peace, and if talking to Keith will do that, then so be it. I don't care if you resent him - without talking to him, you're going to be lost, and you'll fuck up our plan." He joked at the last bit, I knew he was.

I glared at him playfully and he threw his head back and laughed.

"I'm serious though, you should go talk to him." He said.

I sighed deeply and nodded absentmindedly.

"Yeah. Yeah, I think I should." I murmured.

I smiled hesitantly at Pan. "I love you, you know that?"

Pan grinned. "I do, and you know very well Elisa, that I'm so in love with you - it will end up being the death of me."

*****

I walked grudgingly into the depths of Neverland as I drew nearer and nearer to the bamboo cages where my brother was held captive.

Pan offered to come with me, but I politely declined his offer. I had to do this on my own.

The cages finally came to view, and so did Keith's cage that was hung up beside a large, tall tree.

He was asleep. I quietly climbed up the tree that was beside his cage and I sat on the branch that was in front of it.

He woke with a start after feeling my branch rattle.

When he saw that it was just me, he slightly relaxed and stared curiously at me.