Chapter 14

<<<Alexandra Black>>>

"Snuffles! Snuffles!" I called. "Come, pretty boy!"

My voice echoed across the lawn. Stupid dog, I thought. He was probably out rolling in something. With his black fur, I couldn't see him anywhere in the yard. Finally, the large black dog bounded up to me, wagging his bushy tail.

"There you are, you big dope!" I sighed.

Bending over, I went to grab Snuffles by the collar. However, I was surprised when I didn't find it, and I suddenly noticed a single red rose clutched in the dog's mouth. My heart pounded when a second black dog, nearly identical, pranced over and barked- none other than my dog, Snuffles. I scanned my yard, praying there were no peeping eyes from the Ministry, and wordlessly allowed the two dogs into the house.

Snuffles seemed to enjoy his new friend. My dog picked up a shoe and wagged his tail, bowing in front of the strange dog. In a poised stance, the other dog stared up at me, ignoring its new companion. He carefully dropped the rose at my feet, wagging his tail ever so cautiously. Heart pounding in my chest, I pointed my wand at the dog and cast the simple spell. If the dog was a normal dog, nothing would happen. Although I knew what was happening even before it did, my wand hand fell in disbelief when the large black dog turned into a man.

I was immediately lost in the reunion as I stared at Sirius Black. Finally, we were alone together. I felt as if my body couldn't take the pressure. My nerves were somehow higher than they were in the Shrieking Shack.

"Sirius..." my voice trembled.

"Alexandra."

Hearing my name roll off his lips in such a casual manner sent goosebumps across my skin. I used to dream of just hearing his voice one more time, and it never felt like this. Every fiber of my being seemed to be full of electricity. I was on edge, absolutely terrified of any conversation I might have with my husband.

My nervous body sunk into a chair, and Sirius sat across from me, thankfully leaving a respectable distance and a coffee table between us. If he were any closer, I thought I may combust. Somehow, since his escape from Hogwarts, Sirius looked much better. The stress seemed to have been erased and he looked cleaner. He must have been eating better too. The old mischievous glint in his eyes had reappeared, and I could see a smile starting to tug at his mouth, pulling at the years of frown lines.

His beautiful, grey eyes were the only feature that hadn't changed in twelve years of prison. Those eyes caused a flood of memories to play through my head. All of my feelings towards him from the last surfaced as he advanced. His hand reached over and touched my face, brushing away my hair. I shuddered at his touch and sparks seemed to fly down my spine, sending my back to reality.

"I feel as if I've broken my vows to you," I suddenly admitted my guilt. I my gaze wouldn't meet his silver orbs. "I thought you betrayed us. I thought you were a murderer. I believed everyone except you!"

"You believed what they forced you to think," Sirius soothed in a low voice. "And I know a part of you always knew I was innocent. I knew it the moment I saw your hand in the Shrieking Shack. The wedding ring spoke for you."

I flattened my sweaty, left hand on the coffee table. Sirius placed his hand inches from mine, as if daring my hand to draw closer.

"If you knew I was guilty and you didn't love me, you would've ditched the ring and the last name and remarried. After all, I was sentenced to life in Azkaban. You definitely could've found someone new, considering you're still as beautiful as the day I left."

Goosebumps covered my arms again. I couldn't stop myself from feeling butterflies at his 'beautiful' comment.

"Not a day went by where I didn't miss you," I whispered, "but I spurned your name. I pushed back every single memory. I built lies about the situation for years. I told everyone I actually married your brother! And yet, I knew I still loved you every minute."