Chapter 6

<<<Sirius Black>>>

October 31, 1993

I knew exactly which day it was when I entered the looming castle. It wasn't the pumpkins sitting on the floor against the walls or the bats flying overhead. The cobwebs covering portraits and doors did not remind me. Not even the skeleton suits of armor told me it was Halloween. I was reminded instead by the hollow, guilty feeling in my heart. It was the anniversary of their murders- because of me.

As I roamed the corridors of Hogwarts for the first time in nearly fifteen years, I saw memories from my years there. The broom closet where Lexi and I hid from Filch during our first year made me sigh. A small shred of happiness tugged at my heart when I passed a portrait that Remus would always sit under and complete his studies. I trotted past the tapestry we once covered in blue fake flames during my fifth year. Overwhelming guilt and misery overcame all fond memories when I passed anything that reminded me of James Potter.

Twelve years. Twelve years ago, he was alive and well. But James Potter was gone because of a mistake I made- putting my faith in the rat. Until my last breath, I would be guilty of making the decision that killed my best friend.

And that rat, I was there to find him, to finish what should have been done years ago. He was there, at Hogwarts. Filled with anger rather than mourning, my paws quivered with anticipation as I neared the Gryffindor tower.

Although it had been years since I roamed the corridors of Hogwarts, everything looked the same. I smirked when the Fat Lady came into view. Hiding behind a suit of armor, I transformed out of my Animagus dog form and lazily walked up to the familiar portrait.

Her habits hadn't changed. The Fat Lady was stuffing her face with sweets from a large silver tray. Her brown hair was still piled atop her head and her rosy cheeks were bright red, like she drank too much during the Halloween festivities. As soon as she noticed my approach, the tray of food fell out of her hands and she gasped, recoiling into the corner of her frame.

"S-S-Sirius Black!" the Fat Lady cried. I gave her my award-winning smile, but I had a feeling after my years in Azkaban, the smile looked more like a snarl. My reputation as a murderer preceded me.

"You look lovely as always," I offered. "Haven't aged one day."

"I would hope not! But you- You look awful! Filthy! Frail!"

I frowned at her comment. Truthfully, after being malnourished and depressed for years, I did not look anything like the man I was when I left Hogwarts. I took a step closer to the Fat Lady's portrait.

"Stay away from me, you murderer!" yelped the Fat Lady. "I'll scream!" 

"Do it," I offered. "Most people are at Hogsmeade. No one will hear you!"

Despite my explanation, the Fat Lady began to wail and holler. Other portraits glowered at her. No one came to her aide. Finally, she quit, when she realized the yelling would not improve her opera voice. Within the safety of her frame, the Fat Lady shook with fear, I realized I could use her emotions to my advantage.

"So you've heard of what I've done, haven't you?" I growled, narrowing my eyes at her.

"Who hasn't?" she replied. "You're a terrible man, Sirius Black! A terrible wizard!"

"So you know of how dangerous I am, what I could do to you?"

Very slowly, I picked at a piece of flaking gold paint on her frame. The Fat Lady wailed in horror.