Fired

After a nice long sleep, I woke up and got ready for my shift. It was going to possibly be be an interesting one, I knew that.

I pulled up to the pizzeria at 11:30 pm. Hey, earlier is better than later!

I walked in and found the manager and Jamie sitting at a table. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but all I could tell was it wasn't something good: Jamie was crying pretty hard.

When they heard the door, they both turned towards it and saw me.

"Ah, Mr. Schmidt!" The manager said with a surprised look. "You're still here a little early..."

"I was bored and couldn't pass time," I replied. "What's going on here?"

"Oh, it's nothing," Jamie replied as she wiped her eyes. "I just got fired, that's all."

"What? Why?"

"I caught her snooping around places," the manager replied. "Places only employees with my direct permission can look around."

"Oh... I'm sorry, Jamie!" I told the waitress.

"It's OK, Mike," she replied as she pulled out a tissue and blew her nose. "I had it coming."

"Jamie, please turn in your uniform and meet me back here in 10 minutes."

"Yes, ma'am..."

Jamie then got up and walked towards the restrooms.

"Mike, you could come back a little later, if you like," the manager then said to me.

"Actually," I replied, "I'd like to talk to her for a minute."

"Why?"

"She really looks like she needs someone right now."

"...Fine. But she's still expected to be here in 10 minutes."

"It's alright. I won't talk long."

I then went down the hallway she went towards. I managed to catch her before she went inside.

"Jamie!" I called out.

She turned around and looked at me. Her face was as red as Foxy.

"Yes?" She asked as she wiped her eyes.

"Are you going to be okay?" I asked as I walked up to her.

"I don't know... I needed this job so much! It's the only way to pay through college!"

"Well, cheer up! I'm sure you'll find another job!"

"I don't know... I'm not good at anything else but waiting tables."

"I'm sure there are other restaurants around here you can go work at!"

"Well, there's Pizza Hut, but I'm not a huge fan."

"Hey, it's something!"

"I suppose..."

"Here."

I then grabbed a napkin from the floor and pulled out a pen and began writing. A few seconds later, I gave her the napkin.

"If you need to talk, call me, OK?"

"Ok... Thanks!"

"Any time!"

She then gave a small smile and went into the restroom. I really felt sorry for her.

Suddenly, I remembered I forgot to ask her where she was snooping and what was wrong with it! Oh, well. Hopefully it wouldn't concern me at all.