25. The Plumber

JONAH

"Do you listen to EDM Brooke?", I hear Hailee ask.

Brooke purses her lips and forces a smile, "I'm not really into loud music"

"No one is until you get an actual taste of it", Hailee waves her hand playfully, "Don't worry, I'll have you rocking to the Chainsmokers and Zed pretty soon"

Brooke nods slowly but I can tell she is utterly confused.

We walk towards the parking lot together, a somewhat satisfying ritual that we have adopted over the past few days. Brooke's friend Mandy has been busy with cheerleading practice and she's still not comfortable with her other friend.

I always look forward to this part of my day as little as it may seem. Watching Brooke and Hailee talk makes me feel happy so I hardly ever involve myself in their conversations.

"What do you think Jonah?"

I abandon my trail of thoughts, "what?"

Hailee raises an eyebrow, "Brooke is not a party person so she won't be at the pep rally's after party. I was thinking we could skip it with her"

"You want to skip a party?", That's very unlike Hailee.

"Yes Jonah, we're skipping it for Brooke", she rolls her eyes.

She's doing it for me.

"Oh okay", I say softly, "we'll skip it then. We could just hang out at my place. You can bring Mandy", I say to Brooke and she smiles and nods.

"Why is there a party after a pep rally anyway, aren't the athletes supposed to resting and getting ready for the game?", Brooke asks.

"Honestly, most of them don't even attend the parties. Kids these days just always look for a reason to party", Hailee says.

We reach the parking lot and advance towards Hailee car.

"That's not surprising at all", Brooke says slowly.

Hailee chuckles and then she is slightly distracted by something. I follow her gaze to meet a standing figure next to her car.

"Hey look, it's Francis", Brooke says as soon as he spots us. He waves enthusiastically and she is the only one who waves back.

"What are you doing here Francis?", Hailee asks as soon as we reach the car, "you don't go to school here"

"Obviously. I was just around and thought I'd pick you kids up", Francis says with a sly smirk on his face.

"You're not driving my car", Hailee replies flatly before walking away.

"Is he at home?", I ask Francis who turns to me and purses his lips.

"Yeah and he has-", he hesitates, "-company, so let's hang at Hailee's house for a while"

I clench my jaw and nod, "sure"

He nods back before facing Brooke, "hey cute Brooke!"

She smiles back and I can swear there's a hint of red creeping up on her cheeks. "Hi", she says softly.

They begin to talk and I walk away to meet Hailee who is opening the door to the backseat of the car and placing her bag in it. She shuts it and turns to face me.

"Forgive me if I'm being intrusive but are you comfortable with that?", She asks, cocking her head towards Brooke and Francis' seemingly interesting conversation.

I turn to stare at them.

I am not. I am really not.

"No", I reach out to open the door and she moves out of my way. I toss my bag inside and close it.