27. Unaccepted Feelings

BROOKE

"Mandy!", I raise my hand up, waving enthusiastically. Mandy looks around, a slight frown on her face before she notices me from across the hallway and her lips curve into a huge grin. She says something to the two girls she's talking to before skipping over to me. "Oh my God, that was amazing! I didn't know you could do that"

"I have a lot of hidden talents, my dear friend", she says in a funny British accent that makes me chuckle. "You're right, that was amazing", she squeals excitedly.

She spreads her arm and spins in her cheer uniform. A white long-sleeved blouse and a short blue skirt. Her curly hair is packed into a bun.

"Brooke, that was my first cheer with the squad!", She says, "and they all think I did great", she adds, "except Cheryl of course but she's bitter so I don't care"

I laugh. It's been long since I had an encounter with blonde Cheryl. Hailee must have scared her off.

"Of course, they think that because you actually did great", I say.

"And now to celebrate my success, we are going to that after party"

"What?"

I had planned to watch Mandy's performance with the cheerleaders at the pep rally and then skip the after party with Hailee and Jonah. Of course, I don't think that's happening anymore since Jonah and I aren't on speaking terms again. I decided to stay at home alone. It's a Friday night, Blake would be home early and we could watch re-runs of our favorite sitcoms.

"Come on Brooke, don't make me beg", Mandy says in a pleading tone, "I know you didn't plan on coming but you're just going to be alone at home-"

I'm not going to be alone. Blake would be home early.

"- plus, I know you and Jonah are having issues again", she adds.

How do I always manage to make things so obvious?

I sigh. After the incident at his house, Jonah didn't talk to me at school or reply any of the texts I sent him. Francis had said it was just a stupid argument but I know he's lying. I saw their rumpled clothes and Jonah's bleeding mouth. They hit each other.

"Fine", I say, hoping the party will be a clear break from my thoughts and Mandy jumps and giggles like a child.

"Trust me, you'll love it", she grabs my hand and begins to pull me towards the exit of the busy hallway.

The sky outside is almost dark. The lingering light is obliterated by the rapidly falling night which smells like rainfall. I can see the parking lot over taken by the smudgy illumination of a streetlight.
Students litter around, probably those who are going to the party.

"Mandy", A voice says.

To our right, Carmen steps towards us, a white bag in her hand. She's wearing a football jersey and a pair of ripped jeans with white sneakers. She gives us a small smile before focusing her attention on Mandy.

"Hi", she says.

"Hi", Mandy says flatly.

"I saw you during the cheer presentation, it was really nice", Carmen says.

Mandy purses her lips, "Thanks"

"I had this made for you", she hands the bag over to Mandy, "I know how much you love the Beatles and that album"

Mandy's eyes widen as she opens the bag and takes out a black shirt. Printed in front of it is a large picture of four guys and the words, "Here Comes The Sun" right below them.