Chapter 6: Berith

I was at a disadvantage, I was not fighting one versus one rather, a two versus one. Berith has his Red Wyvern while I had a seemingly overpowered cheat, the Hero Game System. However, I only got the system not even two hours ago so I do not have many skills besides the ones I got from killing wyverns. Plus, the armor set is only at Purple Gold Rank. Would it really be enough to defeat Berith?

Berith was a high demon general from the Central Continent with many years of battle experience plus half of his wyvern army was still alive. He could be a despicable coward and force the rest of his army at me but why did he decide to call them back? I just could not understand, my brows furrowing in confusion.

"You know," he began unsheathing his longsword, "I've always loved to fight but I have not found a worthy opponent in fifty years. Can you, perhaps, quench my thirst for battle?"

Not knowing my opponent's skill level and insecure about my own, I choose to bluff. I needed to stall some time in order to level up all the skills I got from slaughtering Berith's wyverns.

"We'll see, I suppose," I spoke in a monotone voice brandishing my sword.

"Haha," he snickered, "I like you already Mr.Knight. Let me recite something. On this glorious battlefield reigned by crimson pillars of flames, ashes fall from the sky like snow. Both beautiful yet possess hidden darkness to them. Oh, the deities of war of Heaven and Hell, which of us contenders will be favored by you? Will our Demonic Empire reign over this battlefield of darkness or will the Knight piece the Heavens and the Earth, save his damsel and allow his country to continue their reign? I wonder, who will be victorious?"

To be honest, I am quite sick of his extravagant rhetoric. Thanks to his monologue, I was able to upgrade a few skills for insurance.

[Flame Magic] has been upgraded to Intermediate Level 7. [Petrification] has been upgraded to Beginner level 8. [Poison] has been upgraded to Intermediate Level 1. Finally, [Wind Step] had been upgraded to Intermediate Level 3. Thus, for every level I raise a skill, all my stats go up by one for a total of 49 increase in stats. Additionally, with the 10x multiplier on the armor, all my stats increase by 490, Heaven Defying!

"Now Mr.Knight, shall we begin?" Berith asked in an arrogant tone.

"Let's get this over with."

Berith decided to make the first move. Holding my broadsword tightly, I readied a defensive stance. Charging at me like a wild bull, Berith swung his longsword, which I blocked effortlessly, but the energy from each strike made a deafening ring in my ears. The power from his first strike created a strong gust of wind. The wind created from the collision made a crater in the ground below. I spot Hatsu only centimeters from the newly formed crater. In relief of surviving the attack, Hatsu laid on its back.

"Your strong Mr.Knight, you blocked my first attack. Not many can do that!" Berith said with a hint of surprise.

Then his face contorted into one of a crazed beast.

"I knew it, you are my fated opponent. The one who can revive my lust for battle!"

That was scary. He's fast. I thought as sweat dripped down my face but I had to continue to bluff to make it out of this one.

"If you want to land a hit on me, you'll have to try better than that!" I yelled parrying his sword.

Feeling the excitement of the battle yet intimidated, Berith jumped back onto his Red Wyvern.

"That was just a warmup Mr.Knight!" He spat not wanting to lose against a 'no named Knight'.

Black and golden sparks flew off our swords just like the clash between Light and Dark. Every time Berith took the initiative to attack, I parried him just as effortlessly as his last strikes. His strikes were swift and heavy at the same time and it does not seem like he will tire himself out soon. If so then, I will have to strike back.