Chapter 17: Goblin Sl*yer

One by one, the group of goblins grew. Some appeared from the trees while others jumped out of leaf piles with their blunt and broken weapons. Each goblin was about half my size with long green noses and ugly faces filled with mischief. Loincloth covered their tiny green bodies while some wore an additional layer of armor. Goblins were crafty creatures despite being small. As such, their intelligence surpasses humans and with one wrong move and you're dead.

Back to back with Ray, I grit my teeth hard. This was not going to be easy but that didn't mean it was going to be impossible to get out of this situation.

"Ray," I spoke in a low voice, "if you use mana on your arrows, how many goblins can you pierce per arrow?"

"Huh," she spun, "my best is around four per arrow on average two using mana."

"Good." I nod.

"Don't tell me..." she gasped.

"Yeah," I tilted my head slightly, "it's a reckless plan but it should work."

"Like we have a choice here?" She sighs in annoyance while readying an arrow.

Shaking my head at the rhetorical question, I brandish my spear.

"Nope. Back me up will you?" I shouted as a charge towards the encirclement of goblins.

From my approximation, there are close to a hundred goblins. If Ray continues to shot her arrows at a constant rate, she could take out sixty easily. On the other hand, I'm a bit rusty with my spearmanship skills so I'm not too sure if I'll be able to eliminate the remaining forty. Scanning the encirclement, I find a slightly bigger goblin with a red bandanna holding a club in its hand. It was a goblin commander!

"Ray, can you pierce the goblin in the red bandanna over there?" I shouted.

"I can but you would have to create an opening!" She shouted back shooting two consecutive arrows.

Understanding her, I thrust my spear at a frail goblin holding a shield. With three times as much speed and power, piercing this goblin was as easy a cutting paper. Its crimson blood dripped down onto the spear handle as its body hung limp on the silver tip.

[Notice: You've killed a Goblin]

[You have leveled up!]

[All stats increase by 1]

[Basic Spearmanship is now Level 4]

[You have gained Subskill: [Straight Line Pierce]]

[Description: By thrusting a weapon, the user can skewer multiple enemies at once. The number of enemies skewered will vary depending on the weapon used]

Ignoring the notifications, my body moved as if I were in a trance. My spear was spinning, goblin blood splattered all over my windbreaker, heads flying into the air. Notifications kept ringing in my head but I did not notice them. Ray, on the other hand, was starting to get exhausted. Her arrows were a lot slow as a result, less powerful, and the goblins began to adapt to her movements. Her arms were red swollen from straining her muscles too much. Sweat trickled down the split ends of her short purple hair. Briefly, I turn back around, switching my spear to a staff.

[You have leveled up]

[All stats increase by 1]

[Basic Spearmanship is now Level 5]

.

.

.

[Basic Spearmanship is now Level 9]

"Heal!" I called out raising my staff.

Green light emitted out of the staff. The light particles flew over to Ray instantly healing her. The swollen spots on her arm reduced back to their original size and her fatigue disappeared as well. Immediately standing back up, she draws an arrow and releases it. It hits a goblin, piercing it cleanly through the head as well as two others behind it.