Chapter Six

That long Christmas Eve was spent bitterly for Agnetha as she tried to comfort herself. The little cabin was cozy, but everything about her situation had run cold. Her family were clueless of how to find her, just as clueless as she is, wondering if they'll ever understand her only cry for help.

Gert was in another room dozing off and for the time being, she felt relieved. She felt relieved knowing for a moment the world was standing still. He wasn't near her. He wasn't going to harm her just yet. She looked around the room to find her way out of the ropes, but there was no way she could break free. She hoped to God that Björn went in search for the non-existent recipe and that her cry for help was noticed.

"Papa," Christian turned to Björn, worried at the speed he was going, but at the same time, he knew he would have done the same. "What about Frida?" He shook his head irritably.

"No, I was speaking to Benny earlier today. He would have mentioned something."

"Shouldn't we tell them? I mean, what if Frida knows about Gert?" Björn hesitated. His mind was running in multiple directions, but never once did it cross his mind that Frida might know.

"Call," he said as he parked the car in front of the police station. The night was silent, completely. Snow was falling, and cold winds blew, but beneath Björn's skin, blood was boiling. He was scared, anxious and worried, completely unsure of how Agnetha was and where to begin searching for her.

"Hello, sir. How can I help you?" The officer at the empty lobby had just set down his donut, and wiped his mouth with a napkin waiting on Björn to explain.

"My ex-wife hasn't been heard from since the morning. She was supposed to be at our family dinner, but did not show. She always shows. This man," he dropped the pile of papers regarding Agnetha and Gert. "I think he has something to do with it. I'm sure." The officer looked at the pile and back to Björn. He took the papers and scanned through them as he read.

"You said since this morning?" Björn nodded. "Officially we cannot investigate or consider her missing until 48 hours."

"Bullshit," Bjorn mumbled. "Her car is still in the driveway. She could be in danger. The man was stalking her!"

"Unless hard evidence shows up. I'm sorry, but there isn't much we can do. Where was she seen last?"

"Home. I dropped her off last night, by 8?" Christian said.

"This case. I imagine she'd have more security at home after the restraining order?"

"We–" Christian was cut off by Björn.

"We're not sure of the security around her home." The officer sighed and pulled out a pen and paper. "Write a report for us about everything you know. Any detail will help, but just know, even if you're reporting it now, we cannot take action until 48 hours." Björn did as was asked, quickly. He had an alternate plan, knowing the cops wouldn't make their move unless they knew for certain she wasn't just forgetting to give them a call. Police officers have wasted too much time with cases like this to allow it to happen again.

Benny was as impatient as Björn. He listened to Frida, who was absolutely baffled at everything she had heard. She knew Agnetha would occasionally meet someone, but never had known it was her neighbor, her stalker, and her long term secret admirer.

Björn had asked Benny to follow him to Ekerö for another check around the house. They knew enough the evidence should not be touched, but they observed the place considering what could have happened. All of them shocked Agnetha would have not said a word.

"So she's terrified of him. Don't you think she'd put security guards around the house? Cameras?" Benny asked and Björn stilled.

"I'll check," Christian had already stepped out to find any cameras but she had none outside of the house. He huffed and walked over to Björn who was in the middle of the road now. "What are you doing?"