Chapter Twelve

Part Two

4:18 PM
"Mama?" Agnetha's eyes were opening at last. She fought herself to finally wake up, though her eyes felt incredibly heavy.

Christian rushed to her bedside relieved to see her finally conscious. Agnetha had come to find herself laying in a hospital room with wires to her chest, IV fluid in her arm, and Christian beside 1her.

"Sweetheart," she cried as he hugged her. She was so happy to see him there.

"How are you feeling? Are you hurting? Doctor says you'll be okay."

"I'm fine," she responded. "Where's your father? How is he? I want to see him."

"He's... he's sleeping," he said. He didn't have the heart to tell her. "Don't worry." Christian called for the nurse to let her know his mother is awake to avoid further questions about him.

The nurse had checked in on Agnetha, taking her blood pressure and recording details after asking her questions, making sure she's doing alright both physically and mentally, just as they did when she had first arrived. All Agnetha wanted was to be beside Björn.

An hour passed and Agnetha was awakened again but this time by the sound of Linda's voice. Her first thought once more was Björn. She only wanted to see him.

Her eyes were droopy when she opened them but she pushed herself to sit up. She couldn't do it anymore. She had to see for herself that he was okay.

"Hey, hey," Christian said. "Where are you going?"

"I have to– I have to see him," she said beginning to pull the wires off of her chest.

"No, mom. That is not a good idea, not now. Anyway, he's sleeping. He's just gotten out of surgery not too long ago."

"Christian," she sighed. "Please, take me to him or I'll go there myself." Agnetha was half way out of the bed, unbalanced and exhausted, but he knew she was stubborn. She hadn't stopped asking about him since she regained consciousness.

"Okay," he agreed. "Slowly." He held her hand helping her.

Agnetha held onto the IV fluid, pushing it along with her as she walked from her room to across the hall where Björn stayed. She was beginning to comprehend that Björn was staying in the intensive care unit. Was it so critical?

Agnetha relied on the support of her son, feeling weak to the knees, but she had to make sure he was okay. Her mind would never let her rest if she didn't see him.

She looked from outside to inside the room, seeing Björn lying in the bed with the oxygen wire to his nose and machines attached to him. Her heart shattered seeing the paleness of his face.

Lena and Emma were inside the room as well. None of them speaking, just staring at Björn or staring at nothing. Agnetha didn't know how to keep herself back. Her tears made their return as she looked at him, making her way inside with Christian beside her.

Emma and her mother immediately turned their eyes to see Agnetha come into the room crying and broken. She was in her blue hospital gown dragging along the IV pole. She didn't bother to look at anyone else, only Björn.

"Oh, Björn," she cried softly, approaching his bedside. She held his hand, which was warm and gentle. She couldn't believe it had gotten to this. She wanted to see him awake, but he lied asleep as if in another dimension. "What happened to you?"

"What are you doing here?" Lena said in a cold tone. "Haven't you done enough?"

"Mom," Anna said from behind Christian as she entered. She knew her mother was protective of Björn, but she shouldn't take it out on another victim.