Chapter Thirty-Nine

Tuesday, August 11, 1998

The glistening, hot summer day was one he'd never forget. The small cellular in his pocket jingled and his thick, round fingers sunk into his jeans to fish it out. He was midway through his meaty sandwich and the last gulp down before he answered. He set the sandwich over the wrapper, setting it on top of the hood of his truck.

"Hello?" he answered coarsely after clearing his throat. His free hand brushed along his jeans, throwing off the crumbs from his fingers.

"Hello. Is this Gert I'm speaking to?"

"Yeah. Sorry, who is this?"

"Doesn't matter who I am just yet. I have a job for you. How would you feel if I told you I could make your wishes come true?"

"I'm not following."

"You're in love with Agnetha Fältskog. What would you say if I made you her new neighbor?"

"Excuse me?!" He just about choked on his own saliva. "Who are you?"

"I can give you everything you dream if you agree to meet me."

"Yes! Yes, I agree already. I don't know who you are."

"My name is Lena. I'll be in touch with you, Gert van der Graaf." The line was cut and suddenly the man who stood on the other end was weak at the knee. He wondered if it were a prank. It surely wasn't, for three days later, he received another call.

Thursday August 28, 1998

"Hey! Settle," Agnetha pulled the leash towards her, keeping her dog close and to stop him from barking at the man who jogged in the opposite direction. He laughed and paused beside Agnetha, his eyes sparkling, unable to believe he was watching her for the very first time. Charm, he remembered. Lena's words rang in his ears.

"It's okay," he bent low to see the little dog. "Hey, there," he extended his hand to the dog's nose, who sensed there was something wrong about this man. His whiskers stuck up, revealing his teeth through a growl before he wagged his tail, continuing to sniff his hand to his running shoes.

"Sorry," she laughed. "He's a little protective."

"I completely understand. He should be," he rose to her level and held out his hand.

"I'm Gert."

"Agnetha," she shook his hand, feeling it slightly damp. She assumed it was from his jog, but it was nerves. He had just met the woman of his dreams.

"I'm, uh, new around here. I was just on a jog trying to learn the area."

"Oh? You live here?"

"Only five minutes away," he flashed a smile that made her feel both uncomfortable and pleased. She noticed only seven minutes later they continued to talk as they walked towards the direction she wanted to go, just opposite of where he was headed originally.

Thursday, September 3rd, 1998

"Have you sent her the letter yet?"

"No," replied Gert.

"I've given you money, a house, a car, and given you everything you need. Gert, it's your chance. Get on it, for fuck's sake," she grumbled. "She'll never fall in love with you if you're so distant. She'd have someone by now."

"I– I'm nervous."

"She won't know it's you yet! She doesn't know the letter comes from you. It's only small things. Let her fall in love with an admirer and then you reveal it's you! I know her." She thought of what Björn would do and advised. He didn't have his looks, but with everything she purchased him and the diet she put him through and the exercise, she knew he would make a decent impression each time he met with her. Soon Lena's husband would be forgotten, or so she hoped.