Chapter Twenty-Six

The following days were not passed with ease. Heartbreak was still tearing the family, and as much as they had all tried to speak to Anna, she avoided them. She stayed in her room when she was home, and left the house to go to school because it would be her only escape. She couldn't bring herself to see Lena, of all people. Anna's naive mind was beginning to think in places she had never once considered. Who could she trust?

Frida had called, and even dropped in, though she hated the thought of being in Lena's house. She had to check on her to see how the situation had progressed. As bothered as Frida was, she knew Anna wasn't the one at fault.

"The hell are you doing here?"

"I'd like to see my goddaughter," Frida moved passed Lena and invited her way inside the warm toned home.

"Who do all of you think you are, suddenly claiming yourselves as parents?" Lena rolled her eyes.

"Clearly she is still not talking to any of you and I seem to be the only one who hasn't betrayed her. Is it wrong that I care to know how she is doing?"

"She's in her room. I don't imagine she's going to want to come out."

"Then perhaps she'll let me in," Frida took steps towards the bedroom door. She was ready to knock but took a breath and turned to Lena. "Do you mind?" She asked, irritated that she so close to her.

"Of course I mind." Frida rolled her eyes and turned to knock. For a while she heard no response.

"Anna, love. It's Frida. I know you don't want to see anyone right now, but I'd like to see you, if you allow me to." She waited a few moments. Anna was just behind the door listening to see if any chatter was around her. Should I open, she asked herself. What if they're using Frida to get to me? "Anna? It's only me. I just want to check in on you, dear."

"Aunt Frida?"

"Hi, sweetheart."

"Is anyone with you?" She asked.

"Lena is beside me, but why don't you let me in– only me."

"Only you," she repeated, feeling weak and vulnerable. Lena opened her mouth to speak but before a syllable had emerged Frida glared at her.

The door was opened and immediately locked before Lena could have the chance to peek inside. The teenager didn't hesitate to put her arms around her dear aunt, one she had adored her whole life. Her father's sister, Eva, was three hours away, but Anna was so fond of Frida, though they weren't exactly related. She began to cry, finally in the arms of a grown up. Someone was going to look out for her and guide her, someone unbiased.

"How are you doing?" She removed the tears with a stroke of her thumbs, feeling her heart shatter seeing the poor girl so broken. Anna couldn't respond and cried more. "Okay... crying. We're crying, then we'll talk. That's okay," she gently ran her hand along her long hair over her back to soothe her.

"Did they send you here?" She lifted her head off of Frida's shoulder, suddenly suspecting the reason she came.

"No. No one knows I'm here but Lena, just now. I haven't heard from you or your parents."

"They don't care about me."

"Absolutely not, Anna," Frida looked to the door and paused. She led Anna away from the door already suspecting that Lena was still near.

"Have you talked to them?" Frida shook her head.

"No. I'm not ready to. I only hear from Linda."

"I'm very hurt. I don't know who to trust right now."

"Why won't you let them see you? Anna, it's been a few days..."