Chapter Twenty-Four

A few weeks had gone by and although tensions were heavy with the entire family, they still managed to find a way to all get together. They had no other choice.

It was a gathering that took place every year, for everyone, but this date in particular was most important of all. It was Anna's birthday.

As difficult as it was to be around Lena and for Björn to have to have his whole family celebrate in the house he used to share with her, he knew it was the best this way. He attempted to show his two children that just as with his divorce with Agnetha, his relationship with Lena would outcome in the same. They would be able to get along even if they could no longer stand one another. All knew Björn's feelings for Agnetha were distinctively different from what he feels for Lena.

The gathering was simple. Their immediate family and of course, Benny and Frida, who were the godparents of Anna, were present. Anna's fourteenth birthday would be celebrated on two days, one for her friends and one with her family.

This day was special for all– Anna, Björn, Agnetha and Lena. They had come to the decision, since the divorce was set it was time to tell their daughter the truth by the end of the party when guests had left.

Agnetha was anxious, Björn as well. They did not know how she would take the news and they feared it would go in the wrong direction they hoped for.

The cake was cut and Anna was surrounded by her favorite people. Emma, Lena and Björn stood at her side meanwhile Agnetha stood beside Frida, yet another year, watching her daughter wishing she was the one to throw her these parties. Next year, she hoped. It'll all be different then.

Gifts were opened and after each one, Anna went and give her hug and thanks. Frida and Benny gifted her a camera, Björn had given Anna her first cellphone, which she had been begging for. Linda purchased her clothes and Christian bought her tickets to her favorite band's concert. Agnetha gifted her horse riding lessons. Anna has a growing interest and Agnetha already had the farm. She opened the card and an envelope that included all the details.

"I hope you'll enjoy it, darling," she smiled.

"I will. I'm so excited. Thank you," she hugged her and returned to her place to put away all her gifts.

Conversations moved across the room sharing memories. Benny suggested to open her new Polaroid and see how she likes it. She knew she loved it immediately.

"Let me get a photograph of you, Anna!" Frida said. "My God, I can't believe how big you've grown." She laughed, looking at the photograph that immediately developed.

"The years go by fast, don't they?" Lena added. "Anna, bring your photo album. We'll include it in there."

"Where is it? I haven't seen it in sometime," she replied.

"Papa's office," she said in a purposeful mistake. Agnetha looked at Björn then to her half eaten cake trying to ignore it, but even so it made her uncomfortable.

Anna left the company. She was happy. Her day was the best in a while since the news of the divorce. She was comfortable and excited to bring out her old album.

She had gotten to the half empty office. Many things were in boxes ready to be moved out and into Björn's new home instead. She searched for it from place to place. Going to the desk that once was her father's she opened the drawers thinking maybe it wasn't packed.

She doubted he would take her album, but then again she didn't know. It was the easier place to search rather than beginning to open boxes.

Anna couldn't resist the miniature keepsake in the drawer she had opened. She had never seen it before and smiled when she saw a small pile of photographs and letters. Certainly her father's. It wasn't what she was searching for but she had gotten distracted with the memories.