Chapter Eighteen

By the time the next week had come, Björn and Agnetha stayed in their own homes, fifty minutes away from one another. Both thought of each other daily, but had not called. Agnetha didn't dare, and Björn tried to keep patient, but his temper was hot and suddenly he had exploded.

"How is he?" Agnetha asked her daughter who had just gotten off the phone. She was watching her pace around in the other room from a distance unable to hear the conversation. The suspense of the call made Agnetha feel uneasy. It was clear something wasn't right.

"Call him and see," she responded.

"Linda, don't be like that."

"I don't understand you at all. Both of you. You ask about him and he doesn't stop asking about you," she sat beside her mother, setting her cellphone on the table. "You couldn't leave his side when he was unconscious and suddenly now you don't even want to see him. I don't understand you."

"It's complicated. Come on, tell me how he is." Linda paused seeing the clear desperation in his mother's eyes.

"I think he lost his mind."

"What? Why?" She grew anxious listening to those words dying for more information.

"He fought with Lena. Bad," she explained. "He's leaving her and he wants a divorce." The pounding in Agnetha's heart felt stronger. She couldn't believe the news she just heard and she didn't like the sound of it.

"No. No, he can't do that. Call him," her daughter looked at Agnetha in confusion, baffled, wondering which parent of hers was crazier.

"Did you hear what I just said? He wants to leave her. Mom, he loves you. It has to be the reason."

"Linda, call him. I need to speak with him. I won't allow him to."

"My God, you both are crazy and are going to drive me crazy with you," she picked up the phone and called her father. Agnetha took the phone and stepped into the next room.

"Hi, Linda," Björn answered as he packed his bag.

"It's me. What the hell did I just hear, Björn? Tell me it's a lie." His head shot up from his clothes and his lips curved hearing how quick she heard. He finally got her to call.

"If I knew this is what it took to hear your voice, I would have done it sooner."

"Are you alright? I mean, literally, mentally? You can't leave her. Björn, I won't let you." She feared many things. She feared breaking her family again and she couldn't do with it, especially when it's her children involved.

"It's for the best. I don't know how it took me this long to finally do it."

"Why are you doing this? Björn, you're not recovered yet and you're pulling us all into another–"

"Let me see you. We'll talk. I want to see you."

"You're not listening to anything I'm saying."

"I am, actually. It's clear you want to discuss it so I'll be there in an hour," she knew to answer in only a sigh. He was going to pay her a visit.

As he said, an hour later he had arrived to her home. Agnetha was mesmerized with him. She missed him, she missed seeing him everyday and talking with him, but more than that, she was grateful he had awoken from that curse.

Björn greeted her with a kiss on the cheek, but even that action Agnetha didn't allow him to do freely.

She led him into the living room and they sat side by side quietly. His eyes remained on her, waiting for her to say something, but all she did was think.

"Ask away," he said.

She turned with her eyes and saw him. He appeared masculine and confident that what he was doing was the right thing, but to Agnetha it was a mistake. She didn't care how bad the fight between him and Lena had gotten, he can't leave her.

"What are you doing?" She calmly asked. "Tell me it's a joke and I'll forgive you. I'll forget everything."

"I'm doing the right thing and it's not a joke. I'm doing what's right for our family, so we could be together, all of us. So I could be there for you like I've always wanted. My heart belongs to you, my entire world is yours. I'll bring down the stars to have them bow at your feet," she covered his lips. Her eyes watered and she grew nervous, though she acted like it didn't hit her heart.

"Stop. Don't, don't say these things. Linda is still here, the last thing I need is for their minds to fly. Can't you just be logical? Björn, you made a promise to take care of Lena, to take care of your children. All you do is go against her and you can't. I'm not going to let you."

"I go against her because I can't do it anymore, Agnetha! I almost lost you. You have no idea how scared I was. I never knew fear until that moment. You're the most precious person in my life." Her heart was beating and hands shaking from anxiety. Agnetha and Björn looked into each other's eyes trying to understand each other but the message wasn't getting through. They both were completely thinking different things.

"So, what– you just left her to be with me? To make our family whole?"

"Yes, Agnetha, because I love you. I always have and I know, I just know, that you do, too." She stared at him blankly, her mouth falling open trying to find the right words.

"And who said I would take you back, hm? I don't want to get back together. I don't want to be with you. It can't work that way for us anymore. You want to fix things? You had that chance fourteen years ago and you completely missed it. It's too late for us now." He expected to hear many things, never once did he think she'd say that. He watched her face and thought. He was hurt by her words, but he smirked.

"You know, Agnetha. You're very good with secrets and hiding things, keeping them to yourself, but you can never hide them from me. I heard you at the hospital, I heard you when I was shot, and I see everything in the way you look at me. Your love is as strong as mine. Whatever is happening with Lena and me is going to happen. I can't change what's already there. I know you're worried about the children, about Anna, but it's the way things should be."

"I thought I was going to lose you," she explained. "I was afraid of you dying because I know if you had, God forbid, everything we have done for this family would fall apart. Lena and I wouldn't be able to glue the pieces of our family without you. You hold us all together. She's going to take her from me, Björn. You're my only connection," her eyes filled with tears and he completely saw the fear in her eyes.

"You won't lose her. You'll gain her. That's why, Agnetha, I completely see the value of our family. All those miserable years I spent with Lena pretending to everyone we're a happy family, I can't live that lie anymore."

"What if it comes out?" She lowered her voice, petrified of her biggest fear and her biggest mistake.

"Let it. We'll have to explain everything before it does. I don't expect anything to happen like that, but it's time she knows."

"No. No, she'll hate me, Björn. I don't know how to face her after it."

"She already loves you."

"And I don't want to ruin that. I don't know how to handle more change. Please, listen to me. Your divorce isn't only between you and her. It's going to affect me, too."

He stood knowing she had the truth, and had the right to be afraid. It would have a heavy affect on her and it wasn't something she'd handle easily. One hand on his hip and one hand running over his beard, he turned back around to see her. She had gotten to her feet, too, watching him.

"I'm going through with it. It's my decision. Lena has already accepted. If she's given up then you already know there is nothing left holding me and her together."

"I am! Björn, I am going to hold you together, damn it!"

"No, you're not getting involved. This decision is mine and Lena's to make. Take care, Agnetha," he kissed her head.

He walked away and left her with tears slipping out of her eyes. She stared at the door open and close, letting him leave the same way it had brought him in. Hot-headed, stubborn, eager man. She huffed in her agitation and anxiety. He was going to do it. She couldn't believe he would actually do it.