Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Anna, dear. Come have dinner!" Lena called out at her door. She was worried it would be another night for her without dinner. Anna simply didn't have the appetite.

"I'm coming," she called back, just because she wanted Lena to go away so she could collect herself.

Dinner was a cold communication. Lena tried to talk about it but it wasn't happening. It left Anna wanting to escape the room yet again.

Sitting in the swing on the terrace behind her home, Agnetha watched the night. The moon was growing brighter and there was a slight breeze. Sadness caught her each time she thought of the other end of the call, each time she thought of her daughter. The argument they shared in front of everyone was one she would never forget.

Linda, Christian, Björn and Agnetha had talked about what had happened. They understood it at last, but that never made it okay to have an affair and even more it sounded like an incredibly ridiculous plan to hold on to a secret like that. Linda and Christian knew their parents and Anna needed both of their support, bringing them back to easily forgive what Björn and Agnetha had done.

"Are you doing okay?" Björn had asked Agnetha, sitting beside her on the swing. It was the third time he asked her that day and his mind was worrisome. The devastation followed her since that night, ever once giving her the chance to rest.

"I don't know. I don't know anymore." She turned to see him and felt his arms surround her. "I knew it. She'd hate me."

"Agnetha, she doesn–" the jingle of his phone stopped him. He took it out quickly and her eyes had followed his actions.

"Hello?" A moment later he heard the voice of his daughter.

"Papa?"

"Anna? What's going on?" He sensed there was something off in her voice.

"Papa, I read the letter," she cried. "I want to talk to her. I want to know–"

"Sweetheart, she's here. She's waiting for you. Do you want me to put her on the phone?"

"No, no, papa," she panicked from being nervous. "Can you come get me? I don't want to be here."

"Sure, baby. I'll come. Just wait for me." He ended the call and turned to Agnetha. "I'll bring her here." Agnetha felt relief and anxiety in the same moment.

"Please, go. I need to know that she's fine."

He had gone and within an hour he had arrived to his old home to see Anna. Lena was surprised to see him, also angry.

"You can't take her. She has school in the morning!"

"So I'll drive her there. You're not denying me the right to see her. Don't think I'll ever let you. Come on," he put his hand on Anna's shoulder and led her.

Another fifty minute drive to Ekerö gave time for him to communicate to his daughter. She had begun asking him questions and Björn provided answers. Anna sat with a backpack in her lap filled with clothes for the next day, the letter and the key.

Agnetha heard the doorbell and quickly opened to her daughter and Björn. It was awkward but Agnetha led them to the living room. She had prepared to say everything. Start to finish. She had rehearsed it for fourteen years, but sitting in front of her daughter she paused and waited for her to begin asking.

"I want to know the truth." Agnetha nodded, her eyes a constant glaze from tears.

"But first I need to you know it wasn't that I didn't want you. It's not true. It's not how it was." She had heard from Linda that it was what she had been told and had to clear it from Anna's mind immediately.