Chapter Four

"Will she be okay?" Lemonflight's voice made Sweetpaw stir from her painful sleep. Her stomach was completely wrapped in leaves that smelled sharp and bitter.

"Relax, Lemonflight. Sweetpaw is only sleeping, she'll get better when she wakes up." Came Emberstripe's calm reply, though Sweetpaw detected a small hint of anxiety in the medicine cat's tone.

Sweetpaw opened her eyes fully and lifted her head, a groan of pain sliding past her lips as she did so. Everything hurt. From the tips of her fur to the ends of her claws! Her mother noticed her awaken instantly and she rushed to her daughter, eyes pools of relief and worry.

"Sweetpaw! My dear, are you okay? How do you feel? Are you comfortable?" Her mother exploded with so many questions, it was hard to answer one at a time.

"Lemonflight, Sweetpaw needs space so she can heal." Emberstripe warned softly and pushed the protective and protesting mother away from her injured daughter.

Once her mother left, Sweetpaw looked over at the young medicine cat. "What happened?" She croaked, her voice hoarse from not speaking. Her throat was dry and begged for water.

The tabby didn't look up from her bundle of herbs that she was sorting. "You fell out of a tree and broke a rib." She answered. Sweetpaw gasped and cried in pain as the sharp intake of air made her stomach burst with pain.

"When will I be able to go back to training?" She asked, every breath making her want to scream in pain. Sweetpaw looked at Emberstripe expectantly, only to find her gazing at the apprentice with sympathy.

"Two or so moons," the medicine cat replied and Sweetpaw's jaw dropped and she wailed in despair. Emberstripe flicked her tail around her muzzle and silenced the apprentice. "It's okay, Sweetpaw. You'll be able to be a warrior but you'll have to wait a while longer than most warriors."

"How is our wounded warrior?" A familiar and friendly voice made Sweetpaw's ear twitched and she saw Stonesky in the entrance of the medicine den gazing at her.

"In pain but she'll pull through," Emberstripe meowed, something in her voice made Sweetpaw perk up. "Poppystar is going to call a meeting when Goldentail's patrol gets back from Towering Pines. They found a DawnClan patrol on our side." She meowed to the two of them, pain showing slightly as she gazed at Stonesky. "Tigerspeck, Barkflame, Duskpelt, and Smokemask were on it and were seen padding away with prey in their mouths."

Stonesky nodded and his ear flicked. "Seems like they're back," he dipped his head and exited the den without another word. Emberstripe followed with Sweetpaw hobbling after them.

Poppystar was perched on the Tall Tree and cats already began to gather to hear what the leader had to say. "Cats of FireClan, DawnClan has passed the borders far too many times!" She boomed, her tone laced with anger and malice. "We attack their camp at once!"

The Clan cheered from beneath the tree and Sweetpaw's eyes widened in shock and fear. Poppystar met her gaze steadily and nodded the tiniest of nods in understanding. "Larchwhisker, Pounceheart, Sheepcloud, Lemonflight, Goldentail, Blizzardfrost, Owlpaw, Cloverpaw, Rainpaw, Springpaw, and Whitesnow will join on the attack." Poppystar meowed, tail lashing to show her anger. "Talonstripe and the others will stay behind and guard the camp if DawnClan cats come to attack."

Sweetpaw's heart dropped at the names of her kin as the battling cats began to gather. Sheepcloud was speaking to her siblings and the other apprentices and Sweetpaw looked at her paws.

Emberstripe padded up to her, eyes soft with sympathy. "It's okay, Sweetpaw. They'll be back before you know it." She comforted and steered the wounded apprentice away. "For now, you can help me sort my herbs."

Hours passed and finally the group of cats that were chosen to attack DawnClan returned. Sheepcloud was draped across Whitesnow's back, limp and lifeless. Lemonflight was barely walking and keeping pace with Goldentail as they collapsed as they entered the camp. Emberstripe rushed out as soon as she saw Poppystar lying on the ground, unmoving.

Sweetpaw stared in horror at her father's body, eyes wide and shocked. Owlpaw was leaning on Cloverpaw, who was bleeding heavily from her shoulder and back. She heard a wail from Snowberry as Blizzardfrost was laid on the ground, his eyes dull and lifeless as he stared into the sky.

The ground dipped beneath her and she staggered at the sight of all the blood that pulsed from every wound the returning cats had. Head spinning, Sweetpaw hobbled back into the medicine den, not even going to greet her littermates to see how they were doing.