Chapter Five

"Sweetpaw, you are fully healed and are able to return to your training." Emberstripe meowed to the she-cat after a few more days of being in the medicine den. Sweetpaw perked up from her half-eaten mouse with excitement.

"Finally!" She exclaimed and leaped to her paws, her ribs not hurting at all except a small tinge of discomfort. Striding out of the den, Sweetpaw twitched her ear at the sound of Owlpaw and Rainpaw speaking to each other with their tails twined together and purring loud enough to wake the nearest DuskClan warrior on a patrol.

"Sweetpaw!" Springpaw called, his eyes bright as he spotted the she-cat. Heads turned and Sweetpaw's fur prickled with nervousness under their stares.

"Sweetpaw's okay!" Called Swiftscar, beaming at the now healed apprentice with joy.

"Sweetpaw!" Cloverpaw hurled herself at her sister, butting her head against Sweetpaw's shoudler playfully. "About time you left the medicine den!" She purred, whiskers twitching in happiness.

Stonesky padded up to his apprentice, eyes gleaming with relief. "I didn't think you'd pull through," he admitted, touching noses with the she-cat. "But you proved me wrong, thank StarClan for that." The older warrior sounded earnest and glad his apprentice survived, but guilt was evident in his sky blue eyes as he met gazes with Sweetpaw.

The moon shone brightly in the sky that night as Sweetpaw and her Clanmates padded through the thick forest to get to Ancient Stones. Four jagged rocks loomed over the cats as they made it to their desired destination.

The scent of so many cats overwhelmed Sweetpaw's nose and anxiety gripped her like claws as she drank in all of the many smells at once. A shiver ran down her spine as she saw DawnClan's leader, Strikestar, atop his large stone, gazing at the entering FireClan with a dark gleam in his eyes.

"Don't worry, Sweetpaw." Meowed Springpaw, brushing past her with no hesitation. "There's a truce so no cat can fight one another."

Taking a deep breath, Sweetpaw advanced towards a group of DuskClan and IceClan cats. They seemed around her age and size so she sat down and listened to their conversation.

"You should've seen the frog I caught last moon!" A gray tom was boasting, his green eyes shinning with pride. "It fed both Shellkit and Sorrelkit to the point where they were the size of a rock!"

"Yeah right, Hawkpaw." Retorted a brown tabby tom that smelled like fish so Sweetpaw guessed he was from IceClan. "Every cat knows full well that DuskClan are full of exaggerated 'paws!"

Snickers of agreement and laughter filled the small group and the apprentice, Hawkpaw, was fuming with anger and embarrassment. "It's true!" He insisted, his tail lashing desperately.

Before Sweetpaw could say she believed him, IceClan's leader, Badgerstar, stepped forward. "Let the Gathering begin!" He called, silencing the meowing that filled the air beneath him.

Sweetpaw settled down next to a gray patched she-cat and leaned over, ears twitching. "Is that Badgerstar?" She whispered, eyes trained on the huge tom.

The apprentice nodded and whispered back. "Behind him are Strikestar of DawnClan, Poppystar of FireClan, and Owlstar of DuskClan."

"Where are the deputies?" Sweetpaw asked, searching the mass of cats that were too busy listening to hear the apprentices.

The other she-cat flicked her tail to point to a rather short she-cat gazing up at Badgerstar sharply. "That's Webstripe, DuskClan's deputy. I've heard she's as mean as a fox and has a bite like a badger's." Sweetpaw's eyes widened in shock but nodded for her to continue.

"Over there is our deputy, Frostbreeze. She's pretty chill but never backs down to a fight." The apprentice looked at Sweetpaw before going on. "And right next to Webstripe is Dawnbounce of DawnClan."

"And the medicine cats?" Sweetpaw pressed, shifting closer so she could hear more.

"They're beside the deputies," the she-cat meowed, nodding to the group of six cats just a ways away from the four deputies. "Tumbletiger and Beetlestrike are DawnClan's medicine cats, Honeyclaw is DuskClan's medicine cat, Emberstripe is FireClan's medicine cat, and Beechcherry and Icestrike are IceClan's medicine cats."

"That is all IceClan has to report!" Badgerstar meowed, sitting down on his rock and glancing at Strikestar.

"DawnClan is recovering from an attack but we have four new warriors. Breezerunner, Hailtooth, Blackstrike, and Duckripple!" Strikestar announced, gazing at the four cats who straightened under his gaze.

"Breezerunner! Hailtooth! Blackstrike! Duckripple!" The Clans cheered, the fight between DawnClan and FireClan forgotten.

Strikestar sat down and Owlstar stepped up. "We also have new warriors that occupy our ranks. Rainsnow, Mosspatch, and Thistlehare are great warriors already."

Small cheers and congratulations errupted from the others and they were quieted by Poppystar. "FireClan is mourning the deaths of Sheepcloud and Blizzardfrost and we hope he is well in the ranks of StarClan." A moment of silence gripped the gathered cats before she went on. "We have nothing else to report."

With nothing left to say, the Clans began to gather and leave to their respective territories. Sweetpaw raced to where the other apprentice and her were chatting and yowled. "What's your name?" In a desperate attempt to make a new friend.

The apprentice paused, looked back, and meowed. "Birdpaw," before running off to join her Clanmates.