Chapter Thirty-Five

Sweetscent glanced over her shoulder to see if Larchstar or his allies were hearing or watching her before slipping into the old elders' den. "Okay," she meowed, looking around at the gathered cats. "We're all clear to speak."

Podheart, who was sitting beside Sharpsnap, burst out. "We can't live with Larchstar as our leader!" Her belly was swollen with the promise of kits, but she looked scared and worried. "More cats will die if he continues to lead us further into the shadows."

Cloverwing nodded, standing up from her spot in the corner with Mosspatch. "We took care of Rockstar, we can take care of another tyrant like Larchstar." She agreed, her eyes shining with determination.

Sweetscent nodded and sighed, tail flicking over her paws. "For now, we have to lie low and not seem suspicious." She decided, ear twitching as Sunfur and Driftshade exchanged glances. "I know what losing loved ones feel like, but we must overthrow Larchstar to stop so many cats from dying as Podheart said."

Honeypelt lashed her tail, Pearpelt glancing at her in worry. "But cats will die if we do something or not!" She exclaimed, claws flexing. "We have to take this slow, by taking out some of Larchstar's lackeys, we will be able to rise and take him down." She slammed a paw of unsheathed claws down on the ground for emphasis in her words.

Sweetscent opened her mouth to respond but Pounceheart cut her off. "In all honesty, we can't do much rather than kill to save our tails." Her words were earnest but scared. "Who does that remind you of?"

Flameheart shot her a glare. "How could we have known Rockfall was going to turn traitor on us?" She demanded, neck fur bristling. "Did you know Rainshadow was evil and killed Whitesnow?"

Honeypelt snarled and unsheathed her claws, rounding on the former DuskClan she-cat. "Don't you dare bring my mother into this!"

Sweetscent looked between the three cats and raised her voice. "Enough!" When she got the quarrel to end, she continued. "Flameheart, Sunfur, and Podheart will target Lionroar." At the sight of the stunned looks on her Clanmates' faces, she explained. "Honeypelt makes a great point to take out some of Larchstar's allies. Myself, Pearpelt, Honeypelt, and Cloverwing will target Rushsplash."

"What about Rainshadow and Rockfall?" Asked Sharpsnap, eyes gleaming with concern.

"I'll deal with Rockfall," snarled a furious-looking Driftshade. "That monster killed my leader and deputy, he deserves to be lying dead at my paws."

Sweetscent was startled at the tom's aggression, glancing to Flameheart for an explanation.

"Owlstar was his mentor and Webstripe was his mother." She explained, blue eyes sympathetic. Sweetscent nodded, understanding the grief, anger, and revenge the tom has.

"Who'll take on Rainshadow?" Willowrunner asked, looking around the gathered cats.

Sweetscent unsheathed her claws. "I will," she growled, her tail lashing as every cat looked at her in understanding.