Chapter Seven

"Remember, no meeting together and helping each other." Swiftscar concluded, his tone stern by Sweetpaw knew he was thrilled. "Are you all ready?" He asked, seeing the apprentices nod vigourously. "Go!"

Sweetpaw bolted into the forest, the other apprentices splitting up and running away from each other. 'You need to catch as much prey as you can before sunhigh.' Stonesky's words rung in her ears as she slowed down and pricked her ears, sniffing the air for prey.

Sweetpaw swiftly crouched down and began to slink through the grass, ear twitching ever so slightly at the sound of a squirrel nibbling on an acorn. Her eyes narrowed as she stealthily stalked towards the unsuspecting squirrel as it coninued to enjoy its last meal.

Claws unsheathing, Sweetpaw leaped for the furry animal and bit down on its spine, killing it cleanly. "Thank you StarClan for this life to keep the Clan warm and fed." She whispered as she buried the squirrel to pick up later.

A few minutes passed since she'd caught the squirrel and she came across a nest of mice. Her belly growled and she licked her lips at the temptation of digging into a morsel. 'Kits and elders need this prey more than I do right now.' She reminded herself quietly and leaped into a frenzy.

Trotting back to the squirrel with an old thrush in her jaws and four mice barely hanging on by their tails, Sweetpaw gazed at her first catch. Nosing her head under the limp tree climber, Sweetpaw felt the squirrel slide onto her back and she began to pad towards the camp where Swiftscar, Stonesky, Pounceheart, Swallowripple, and Larchwhisker waited for their apprentices to return.

Sweetpaw strutted passed the mentors, tail flicking as she trotted by to deposit her prey. Once she did, Stonesky approached her with his eyes brimmed with pride. He nodded to the pile and flicked his tail on her shoulder, jerking his muzzle behind the nursery. It was a signal to talk alone, and it made Sweetpaw's pelt prickle.

Following the older tom to the nursery, Stonesky faced her. "I know you have been doing great with your training," he began, eyes nervous. "But I want you to know something that I should've said a while ago."

'Oh no,' Sweetpaw shifted her paws nervously. What was he going to say? Did her mentor believe she wasn't ready to become a warrior?

"I-I like you, Sweetpaw." Stonesky breathed softly, making his apprentice recoil as if he'd struck her. What?! Sweetpaw stared at him in shock and horror as he went on quickly, seeing her expression. "I-I mean... You're such a great cat and apprentice, that I thought you'd maybe feel the same." He met her gaze, desperation in his eyes. "I know you're young, but we can make this work. Right?"

Before Sweetpaw could reply, Owlpaw's chatter saved her from continuing their awkward conversation. "Springpaw! I told you, I love her no matter what you say!" The she-cat wailed, making Sweetpaw and Stonesky pad into the clearing.

To her shock and horror, Springpaw was baring his teeth and his eyes shone with hurt and betrayal. His sisters' gaze was filled with love, pain, and desperation as she spoke to her sibling.

"Of all cats, why her?" Springpaw snapped harshly, eyes ablaze. "She's a she-cat! You can only fall in love with a tom!"

Silence gripped the Clan and Owlpaw looked beyond hurt. "I-if that's what you believe, then we are no longer siblings."

Springpaw gasped and flinched, stunned by her words. His anger returned and he glared at his sister one last time before whirling around and racing into the apprentice den.

Owlpaw sighed and looked at her paws as the Clan watched. Cloverpaw padded up to her and rubbed her muzzle along her chin comfortingly. To Sweetpaw's surprise, Owlpaw jerked away from Cloverpaw and stalked away, leaving a hurt Cloverpaw behind.