Chapter Twenty-One

"Stonepaw, do you promise to uphold the Warrior Code and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?" Poppystar asked the she-cat, tail flicking into the air.

"I do, Poppystar." Stonepaw breathed, her eyes excited and sparkling.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name." The leader continued. "Stonepaw, from this moment on you will be known as Stonewhisker."

"Stonewhisker! Stonewhisker! Stonewhisker!" The Clan chanted.

"Sunpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Sunfur." The she-cat meowed, gazing at the new warrior with pride.

"Sunfur! Sunfur! Sunfur!"

"Pearpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Pearpelt." Poppystar breathed in relief, wanted the ceremony to end. "StarClan honors you three as great warriors and we welcome you as full members of FireClan." She turned to Pounceheart's kits, who sat in a line. "Swiftkit, from this moment on until you have earned your warrior name, you will be known as Swiftpaw."

The she-cat stiffened under the stares of her Clanmates, wanting to look big. Just a few days ago, Talonstripe had died of a fight with DuskClan that crossed into their territory.

"Larchwhisker, you will mentor this apprentice." The leader went on with the ceremony, naming Cloudkit as Cloudpaw and Smallkit as Smallpaw. Cloudpaw's mentor was named to be Honeypelt and Smallpaw's mentor was named as Goldentail.

"Meeting dismissed," Poppystar concluded and leaped down from Tall Rock and hurried to Emberstripe's den. Sweetscent followed, leaving Sparrowkit and Starlingkit in the nursery with Pounceheart and Owltalon, who was expecting Rainshadow's kits.

"Is it time, Emberstripe?" Sweetscent heard the worried voice of her leader as she eavesdropped on their conversation.

"Yes, go into the forest and I'll go with you. Snowpebble, stay here in case any cat needs tending to." Emberstripe's voice rang in Sweetscent's ears and she waited until the leader and medicine cat was heading her way to perk up from her crouching stance.

"Sweetscent!" Exclaimed Poppystar, her eyes surprised. "What have you-"

The warrior cut her off, her tail waving. "I heard it all, Poppystar." She meowed and lowered her voice. "I have an idea, come with me." Sweetscent murmured and headed out of camp, the leader and medicine cat at her heels.

She led the two she-cats to a dead tree and a rather large patch of grass and sat down. "Here we are," she meowed, ear twitching. "I know you're expecting Strikestar's kits, Poppystar." She began and saw the look oh her leader's face. "I won't give you away, but I have an idea." Sweetscent began to explain her plan to the leader and medicine cat.

Poppystar looked defeated but nodded, suddenly looking tired. "Alright, thank you, Sweetscent." She meowed with relief. Suddenly, she doubled over, groaning in pain.

"Quick!" Hissed Emberstripe, looking to Sweetscent. "Fetch a stick, you know what to do as you've delivered kits before." She ordered, sending the warrior off with a sharp nod.

Pretty soon, there were three shapes bundled at the curve of Poppystar's belly. The biggest was a dark gray tabby tom with dark stripes. The middle kit was a ginger tabby she-cat with white paws. And the smallest kit was a mottled gray tom with lighter paws.

"Ready?" Sweetscent asked the leader and new mother gently, her eyes soft. Poppystar looked up from her kits and nodded sadly, rising to her paws and grasping the smallest kit in her jaws.

Emberstripe grasped the biggest kit between her jaws and Sweetscent handled the last kit. Together, the three she-cats padded back to the camp, the kits swinging in their jaws.

No cat would know who their parents are, not even the kits themselves. One day, the truth would be revealed and chaos would break loose. But for now, the Clan had to believe these kits were abandoned by their rogue parents and left to fend for themselves.