Chapter Thirteen

"Snowkit, from this moment on until you have earned your medicine cat name, you will be known as Snowpaw. Emberstripe, I know you will pass on all you know to young Snowpaw and train him to be the best medicine cat in FireClan." Poppystar meowed, watching as the new medicine cat apprentice touched noses with Emberstripe.

"I wonder who will get Honeykit as an apprentice," Pounceheart mewed to her mate, Talonstripe, who nodded. The young she-cat was plump and her flanks bulged passed her legs. It was very clear to tell who the father was, Talonstripe boasted about Pounceheart having his kits since she told him four moons ago.

"Honeykit, from this moment on until you recieve your warrior name, you will be known as Honeypaw." Poppystar meowed, scanning the clearing. "Rainshadow, you are a talented warrior with excellent fighting and tracking skills. I know you will pass on these traits onto Honeypaw."

Rainshadow nodded and padded up to the small she-cat, leaning down to touch noses with her before sitting down with Swallowripple.

Springleap leaned over to Sweetscent, making warmth shoot through her as his breath russtled her ear fur. "I wonder how he'll do training that scamp." He purred, licking the flustered Sweetscent on the ear as he pulled away.

Suddenly, as the meeting drew to an end, Pounceheart shrieked in pain and fell onto her side. Talonstripe leaped away from his mate in surprise, fear pulsing off him in suffocating waves.

"Snowpaw," Emberstripe meowed, rushing to the queen. "Lesson number one: Get a stick."

The white apprentice looked startled but nodded and raced away into the forest, returning with a thick, young stick clamped between his teeth.

Emberstripe sent him off to find some borage leaves and some burnet for Pounceheart as she wiggled the stick between the queen's jaws. "Push!" The medicine cat urged, putting a paw enty on her belly.

And push she did. With a heave, there was a wailing golden tabby kit by the young medicine cats' paws. Emberstripe bent down, picked it up by the scruff, and laid it at Pounceheart's muzzle. "Lick it," she ordered, turning her attention to Snowpaw. "When the nextt kit comes, lick it and set it by Pounceheart's belly. It'll do the rest."

Snowpaw, though looking uncertain and nervous, nodded and prepared himself mentally and emotionally. Emberstripe waited as Pounceheart let out a cry of pain and another precious bundle lay at her paws. Swiftly, Emberstripe gave the ginger tabby to Snowpaw for him to clean. Another screech came from Pounceheart and another shape lay at Emberstripe's paws.

Snowpaw looked up from licking his kit, who was now completely clean, and Sweetscent could make out that it was a golden brown tabby she-cat.

"There," panted Emberstripe, nosing the other two kits to their mother's belly. "Three healthy kits, two daughters and a son." She purred, sounding exhausted. Turning her head, she gazed at Snowpaw. "Did you get to burnet and borage?" She asked, tail flicking.

The white apprentice nodded and pushed the herbs to his mentor. Sweetscent and Snowpaw watched as Emberstripe coaxed Pounceheart to chew and swallow the herbs, the unpleasant look on the queen's face told the warrior that the herbs weren't delicious.

"Talonstripe!" Emberstripe called to the pacing tom. "Your kits are healthy and need names!" Talonstripe bounded over in a rush, eyes glowing at the sight of his kits.

"They're amazing," breathed the new father of three. "Let's name the she-cat Stonekit." He suggested, nodding to a gray she-cat.

Pounceheart nodded in approval and turned to her son. The tom looked rather big for a newborn kit, but Sweetscent dismissed a disturbing thought. "Let's name him Sunkit, because of his yellow fur." She purred, licking Sunkit's head.

Turning to the last kit, Talonstripe gazed at the golden brown tabby shape of his daughter. He thought hard, coming up with a name even Sweetscent couldn't think of. "And you, little one," he whispered, eyes soft. "Will be my little Pearkit."