Chapter Eighteen

Springleap rushed from the warriors' den to the nursery while Sweetscent tried to calm him. He insisted she would be moved to the nursery instantly and as quick as possible.

"You have to be as comfortable as possible!" Her mate had said before his rush around the camp, creating a dust storm. Even Pounceheart, who was now expecting her second litter of kits, was bemused at his actions.

"If only my mate did that for me," the second time queen commented. To which, Talonstripe called from across the clearing.

"You said you didn't want me to!" The older tom reminded her from across the camp. "I wanted to, but you said no!"

Pounceheart rolled her eyes and laughed, tail flicking as she watched him reinforce the camp boundary. "When are yours due?" She asked, glancing at Sweetscent's flanks.

"Not for four moons," mewed a familiar soft voice and Sweetscent saw Snowpaw padding up to them shyly. "Your kits will come before Sweetscent's, though. Can you handle more kits?"

"I handled you, didn't I?" Pounceheart teased, flicking her son's shoulder with her tail. Snowpaw glared at her playfully before setting down a bundle of herbs that didn't smell nice.

"As punishment for your teasing, you both get to eat these herbs." Snowpaw meowed, chest puffing out. "This is borage, it will help your milk flow before your kits come and drink it all."

Sweetscent grimaced, but lapped up the bitter leaves and didn't complain. Pounceheart thanked her son and sent him away with a few licks on the head to slick down his fur.

"Mom!" Snowpaw complained and ran off to the medicine den to sort some more herbs.

Pounceheart chuckled to herself and flicked her tail. "I wonder when-" She was cut off by a yowl and the sudden explosion of cats through the thorn barrier.

Sweetscent let out a screech and leaped to her paws, tail bristling. "FireClan! Attack!" She yowled and unsheathed her claws as none other than Hailtooth raced at her.

"Mouse-brain!" She hissed, scratching the ex-DuskClan warrior's cheek and leaped onto his back. "Can't you tell I'm a queen?" She snarled, digging her claws deep into Hailtooth's back and flipping him onto his back and slashing his chest.

Hailtooth yowled in pain and rolled onto his back and scratched Sweetscent's eye, leaving a nasty wound that made her hiss in pain. Sweetscent reared on her hind legs, pain flaring in her face as her opponent slashed her face again.

A yowl from the tom signaled that she had had enough. With a furious kick, Sweetscent was thrown clear off of her and watched as Hailtooth raced away. Breathing hard, the new queen looked around and saw a familiar black pelt hit the ground with a sickening thud. "Swallowripple!" Sweetscent cried and raced towards the fallen she-cat, only to be tackled by a red tabby shape. Screeching, the last thing she saw was Swallowripple's eyes dulling and the life draining from them as the whole world went black.