Chapter Thirty-Seven

"Birchpaw and Barkpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Birchrunner and Barkslip." Meowed Larchstar from the Tall Rock as the Clan gazed up at him with a mixture of hate and malice.

No cat cheered for the two toms, and the two warriors didn't seem bothered. Birchrunner bounded over to Pounceheart and pressed against her, both cats purring loudly. Swiftclaw watched in jealousy and anger but did little to stop or interfere with the two cats, instead of looking away.

Sweetscent waved her tail in signal for the rebels to meet once the meeting was dismissed and slunk into the elders' den and sat down, waiting for her friends.

Flameheart's ginger face was the first sign that the others were coming. "Pounceheart wanted to let you know that Ripplethroat, Lionroar, and Deerspeck are out in the forest alone." She meowed, tail flicking.

Sweetscent's eyes flickered in surprise and she nodded, claws unsheathing. "Come on, we have to get them now." When Flameheart nodded in agreement, she and the other she-cat left the den in search of their enemies.

Long moments that stretched on for minutes of silence was shared between Sweetscent, Flameheart, and Grayoat as they tracked the trails of Ripplethroat, Lionroar, and Deerspeck.

Neither of them had said a word since they left, too wrapped in their mission to speak. Sweetscent's claws unsheathed as they got closer to their rivals and she raised her tail and the two other cats halted.

"Flameheart," she meowed lowly, twitching her ear. "Make a sound and lure Deerspeck away from Lionroar. Grayoat, you take Lionroar and I'll get Ripplethroat." The deputy glanced at her Clanmates and watched them nod. "Go!" She hissed and all three cats scattered.

As Sweetscent saw Lionroar and Deerspeck foolishly go for their bait, she closed in on Ripplethroat. The air was dangerously still and only the wind could be heard as it ruffled Sweetscent's fur.

The gray tabby flicked an ear in Sweetscent's direction and she froze, praying to StarClan he didn't hear her. When the tom's ear flicked back, she sprang with a hiss. Ripplethroat was caught off-guard by her attack so much that he stumbled back and took a blow to the face, claws unsheathed. "S-Sweetscent?!" He gasped, his eyes wide. "W-what are you doing?" Ripplethroat barely dodged Sweetscent's swipe to the muzzle and unsheathed his claws. 

"Getting rid of the poison in my Clan!" Snarled the deputy as she lunged for the tom, pinning him to the ground. Ripplethroat squirmed, landing feeble blows on his attackers' ears and chest. Looking away so she didn't see his expression, Sweetscent lifted a paw of unsheathed claws and struck his neck, making a jagged wound gush with blood when her paw retracted. 

Ripplethroat shrieked in pain but it was gurgled because of the blood welling in the wound and the tom twitched and was still. Sweetscent looked at him, panting as her ear flicked to behind her. Familiar Flameheart's ginger fur brushed passed her and she looked down at Ripplethroat, her eyes thoughtful. 

"Lionroar and Deerspeck are dead," Grayoat meowed, joining the other she-cats. "What will we do with their bodies, Sweetscent?" When the deputy didn't reply, the mottled tom glanced at her. "Sweetscent?"

Sweetscent stared down at the tom she killed moments before, not hearing Grayoat speaking. Ripplethroat's yellow eyes stared sightlessly at her, making her stare back. To her shock and horror, Ripplethroat's body shifted to look exactly like her. Sweetscent blinked and the mirrored version of herself was gone and instead of her on the ground, it was Ripplethroat. 

"W-we'll bury them and leave, but hunt first so the Clan isn't suspicious." She meowed finally, looking to Grayoat. When her companions left, she looked back to Ripplethroat, limp and dead at her paws. Sweetscent flicked her tail, unable to look away from the tom. 

"Rain will shadow the Clans with its cold, spring will bring new life to the forest, buds of clover will grow but the sweetest scent will heal the Clans. But beware! For an owl's sharp talons will bring the Clans to bloodshed." Lemonflight's voice among many others recited the prophecy in Sweetscent's ears and the deputy padded away from her kill.