Epilogue

The amber eyes of the FireClan deputy flew open as she fell asleep. She was no longer in the cave of Mothermouth. Instead, she was in a starlit clearing, starry trees and wilderness all around her.

"Sweetscent," purred a yellow tabby she-cat. "We have been watching you, we are very proud of what you have overcome and fulfilled."

The calico she-cat choked on her words as she gazed at the beautiful tabby in front of her. "Lemonflight, I-I missed you so much." She whispered, gazing at her mother with sorrowful eyes.

"As have I, my dear." The StarClan warrior mewed and touched her nose to her daughter's head. "With this life, I give you the wisdom to make the right decisions even when something bad occurs."

Flames shot through Sweetscent, making her cry out in pain. 'This is harder than I thought.' When the pain of the first life faded away, a new face greeted her.

Poppystar stood in front of her, eyes gleaming with pride. "I knew you'd make it, Sweetscent." She meowed.

"Poppystar!" Awe laced Sweetscent's voice as the former leader of FireClan stood before her.

The dark ginger she-cat leaned forward, pressing her nose to Sweetscent's head. "With this life, I give you the courage to face an enemy in the future."

The pain was as intense as the last life but more bearable. Sweetscent ground her teeth together and screwed her eyes shut as she waited for the pain to go away.

When it did disappear, Sweetscent opened her eyes and nearly wailed. In front of her stood Starlingpaw, her daughter that died much too young.

"Hello, mother." Purred the apprentice, white fur glimmering with stars. "With this life, I give you a mother's protection, use it to protect the ones you love."

Claws of pain gripped her so hard, Sweetscent staggered but forced herself to stand tall and not fall over as a new cat came forward.

Springleap's black and white fur shone with the stars of Silverpelt but he gazed at Sweetscent with so much love. "With this life, I give you love. Use it to love those who need it."

Warmth spread throughout Sweetscent and she purred, wanting to curl up with her dead mate and tell him how much Sparrowgorse had grown and how much of a great warrior he is.

A white face appeared before the she-cat, one that she had never seen before. "Greetings, Sweetscent." Rumbled the unknown she-cat. "I have been looking forward to meeting you. I am Snowstar, the leader before Poppystar."

Sweetscent nodded and bowed her head, waiting for the pain to come.

"With this life, I give you the determination to serve your Clan even if you are under pressure." Snowstar meowed, drawing away from the she-cat and being replaced by Stonesky.

"With this life, I give you patience for younger cats." Her former mentor meowed, gazing at his former apprentice with his sky blue eyes. "Use it well."

Sweetscent nodded and her ear flicked at him as he padded away and sat with Snowstar and Starlingpaw.

"Sweetscent," mewed a familiar voice and the she-cat turned to see Swiftscar gazing at her with pride. "With this life, I give you honor to only act within the Warrior Code."

"Sweetscent!" Called another she-cat and Snowberry herself bounded up to her granddaughter. "With this life, I give you trust to trust in your Clanmates. In the end, they'll be right."

A final ninth cat padded elegantly up to Sweetscent and her eyes popped out of her head. "P-Pounceheart!" She exclaimed, eyes watering.

"Do not cry, Sweetscent." She meowed and touched her nose to her friend's head. "With this life, I give you instinct. Follow your instinct, for it will always keep you alive in the end." As Pounceheart drew away, the other eight cats that gave her lives padded forward.

"We now name you as Sweetstar! Sweetscent is no longer!" Yowled Starlingpaw and every StarClan cat joined in the cheer.

"Sweetstar! Sweetstar! Sweetstar!"

The newly named leader raised her chin, drinking in the cheers but a hiss caught her attention. Turning her head, she looked beyond the blurry borders of StarClan into the Place of No Stars.

Larchstar, Owltalon, Nightclaw, Rainshadow, and countless others glared at her with hatred in their eyes but Sweetstar lifted her chin.

She knew the war between the living and dead would never end, but for now, that didn't matter. What mattered now was her Clan and her Clan alone.

She was no longer Sweetkit, Sweetpaw, Sweetscent. She was now Sweetstar, leader of FireClan.