Chapter Twenty-Three

Sweetscent lifted her head at the sound of paws thrumming against the earth and her fur bristled with curiosity. 'What's going on?' She thought, stepping out of her warm nest and perked her ears at the sound of a yowl.

"DuskClan! Attack!" A yowl that sounded a lot like Rockstar and an explosion of cats poured into the camp.

"FireClan! The camp is under attack!" Shrieked Sweetscent and bowled into Cloverwing, claws late to unsheathe as the enemy warrior twisted and sank her teeth deep into Sweetscent's shoulder.

The she-cat screamed in pain and dragged her claws across the warrior's chest and flipped her onto her back and drove her claws into the soft of Cloverwing's belly, tearing it open.

"S-stop!" The she-cat cried, desperation in her mew so strong, it made Sweetscent freeze. "P-please! Do-don't kill my kits!"

"K-kits?" Sweetscent spluttered, claws sheathing as she backed off the revealed queen. "W-why are you in a battle where you could be hurt or killed?" She asked, stunned.

Cloverwing lowered her head as the battle raged on and Sweetscent noticed how plump the she-cat was. "Rockstar has made living in DuskClan a living nightmare." She admitted after a moment. "Look at the enemies you fight, they are skinny and under-fed to the point where we have to fight for the food we eat." Sweetscent flinched and heard Goosekit, Ryekit, and Graykit crying at the sound of battle. 

"Come with me, I'm just out of the nursery with my own kits. I'll keep you safe, you can join FireClan." Cloverwing nodded slowly and followed the FireClan warrior as she led her into the nursery. Pounceheart arched her back at the sight of the bloody DuskClan cat and hissed, drawing her foster kits closer with her tail. Sweetscent quickly explained to her friend that this cat was starving and expecting kits. Owltalon, who was sending Rainsnow away with a slashed cheek, looked over and hissed. 

"What kind of mouse-dung is that?" She demanded but quickly quieted at the miserable look on Cloverwing's face. The she-cat was rounder than Owltalon, much closer to her kitting than the white feline. 

"DuskClan! Retreat!" Yowled Rockstar and many cats fled the camp, but three, beaten and bloody, limped into the nursery and collapsed. Cloverwing gasped and rushed to her Clanmates' side.

 "Mosspatch! Flameheart! Driftshade!" She exclaimed, nudging the warriors. "They're alive, but they'll die if they don't stay."

"They can join the Clan, as can you." Poppystar's weak mew startled all of the cats and Sweetscent gagged at the sight of her leader. Blood and wounds scattered across her pelt. Her left eye was torn from its socket.