Chapter Twenty-Four

"I say these words before the spirits of StarClan, so they may hear and approve my choice." Larchstar, the new leader since Poppystar lost her last life in her sleep due to her wounds, meowed from atop Tall Rock. "The new deputy of FireClan will be Sweetscent."

Sweetscent gaped at her new leader and Springleap, who sat next to her, purred loudly and nudged her towards the Tall Rock. He grinned from ear to ear, despite the fact he wasn't chosen to be the deputy.

On unstable legs, the newly chosen deputy padded to the Tall Rock and joined her leader on top. "I-I am shocked and honored at your choice, Larchstar." She began, looking at the black tom out of the corner of her eye. "I promise to serve my Clan until my dying breath."

**********

"Cloverbud, Goldentail, and Smallpaw, go hunt by Scale Stones and be sure you mark the treeline in case IceClan tries something without our knowing." Sweetscent meowed, her ears swivling to and fro for other cats to send on a patrol.

The three DuskClan cats, Mosspatch, Flameheart, and Driftshade were conversing quietly under a tree. Cloverwing and her kit, Sharpkit, were laying in the weak sunlight that was filtering into camp.

"Mosspatch! Flameheart! Driftshade!" Called the deputy, startling the three cats. "Are you three free to go on a patrol?" She asked, trotting over to her friends. They were settling into the ranks of their new Clan well.

Mosspatch nodded in respect and rose to her paws. She sent a glance over to Cloverwing and Sharpkit before her gaze landed on Sharpkit's father, Driftshade. "Come on, you lump of fur." She teased. "You need to catch prey for your mate and kit."

Driftshade, though amused at the teasing, looked at Sweetscent. "See what I have to deal with?" He meowed, flicking his ear to Mosspatch.

Sweetscent rolled her eyes in amusement and waved her tail. "Go by Towering Pines, if you DuskClan cats are as quick as you say, catching squirrels should be easy for you." She meowed teasingly and trotted away as her friends left the camp.

**********

"Sweetscent!" Yowled Starlingpaw as she raced into the camp with a crow and blackbird clamped between her jaws. "Look what I caught during my first solo hunt!" She meowed proudly, dropped the two birds at her mother's paws.

Sparrowpaw raced after his sister, three mice hanging by their tails in his jaws. He pushed past Starlingpaw and raised his head, showing Sweetscent his catches. "Look at this!" He boasted, smirking at his sister.

Pearpelt and Honeypelt entered after their apprentices, looking amused and proud. "They have made great hunters," commented Honeypelt as she and Pearpelt padded up to the three cats.

"Indeed they have, Honeypelt." Sweetscent meowed in agreement, licking her kits on the head and sending them away with a flick of her tail. Once they had gone, she turned to the mentors of her kits. "How have they been doing in their training other than hunting?" She asked, curious to know about their progress.

Pearpelt and Honeypelt exchanged a knowing look and flicked their tails. "We were about to speak to Larchstar about their assessment before we ran into you." Pearpelt purred, making Sweetscent grin like a kit out of the nursery.

Snowpebble emerged from the nursery, Goosekit, Ryekit, and Graykit clinging onto his fur like burrs. He let out a mrrow of laughter and rolled onto his back, letting the kits climb all over him.

"FireClan!" Yowled Ryekit from on the medicine cat's chest. "Attack!" She pummeled the snow-white tom with her small paws, making him purr.

Goosekit leaped onto Snowpebble's tail, wrestling with it until it was pinned to the ground. Graykit grasped onto Snowpebble's right ear and tugged on it.

"Alright! Alright!" Exclaimed the medicine cat as he shook the kits from his fur. "I've got to get back to working with Emberstripe." He meowed, earning a chorus of protesting wails from the three kits. "I'll be back later, okay?" Snowpebble meowed, smiling at each kit as he padded away.

Sweetscent lifted her tail and flicked it in greeting. "Got your paws full?" She teased once Pearpelt and Honeypelt left to see Larchstar. It had been nearly four moons since Poppystar gave birth to the three kits, and nearly a moon since her death. Snowpebble nodded and purred. "They are great cats, but Strikestar has yet to know of their birth." He added in a quieter tone. Sweetscent sighed and nodded slowly, knowing the DawnClan leader would go crazy if they kept his kits a secret. As Snowpebble padded away, Sweetscent headed for Larchstar's den. She was about to arrive at the Tall Rock when a yowl pierced the still and quiet air. "G-Goldentail!" Wailed Smallpaw as he raced into the camp, eyes wide. "Goldentail's dead!"