Chapter Six

Sweetpaw awoke to a cat prodding her in the side with their claws unsheathed. "What in StarClan's name is going on?" She mumbled sleepily, slowly getting to her paws.

A menacing voice sounded in front of her, snapping her awake. "I wouldn't mention that name around here, Sweetpaw." A pitch black cat with glowing yellow eyes peered at her with such sharpness, it would make Talonstripe flinch.

"W-who are you?" She squeaked, pelt fluffing out slightly in fear. "What is this place and why is it so dark and-" Sweetpaw couldn't go on as the strange cat dragged their thorn sharp claws across her face.

"Silence, apprentice!" They hissed harshly to a cowering Sweetpaw. "My companions and I can train you to be the greatest warrior in the Clans. You will be highly respected for your battle skills and you will be feared deeply."

Sweetpaw noticed that this cat was covered in scars, and their muzzle was gray the show the age. "C-can I think about it?" She stuttered, still baffled.

The cat nodded and flicked their invisible tail behind them. "I will give you until you become a warrior in the Clans' eyes." Ear flicking, they began to fade away.

"Wait!" Sweetpaw wailed, reaching for the strange cat that scared her deeply. "What is your name?"

The cat purred, confirming that this cat was a she-cat. "My name is Shredstrike." She meowed before leaving the apprentice alone in the dark and scary forest.

**********

"Alright, Owlpaw and Cloverpaw, you two go by the river by IceClan's territory and hunt by Scale Stones." Swallowripple, Cloverpaw's new mentor since Sheepcloud died, meowed to the apprentices who were inseparable.

Both apprentices nodded and bounded away, tails twined and purring loudly. Swiftscar shook his head in amusement and turned to Springpaw, Owlpaw, Rainpaw, and Sweetpaw. "Owlpaw and Rainpaw, head over to Towering Pines and see what you can catch there." He instructed, watching as the pair scampered off.

Sweetpaw cast Springpaw a glance, knowing they'd be paired up to go hunting. With leaffall right around the corner, the Clan needed all the prey they could get.

The deputy turned to the remaining apprentices, confirming Sweetpaw's guess. "You two head over by Jagged Rocks and see if you can find something to catch." As the two began to race off, Swiftscar called after them. "Don't come back without prey in your mouths!"

Once Springpaw and Sweetpaw were alone, Springpaw began to speak. "I'm glad you're back to training." He meowed, ear twitching. "I've missed seeing you in the apprentice den, your siblings snore so loudly."

Sweetpaw didn't reply, only focusing on feeding her Clan, Shredstrike's words echoing in her mind. 'How could I do this to my Clan? To my kin? It would be treason!'

"Sweetpaw? Are you listening to me?" Springpaw asked, waving a paw in her face. Seeing that he got her attention again, he repeated what he said previously. "I've seen Owlpaw and Cloverpaw have gotten really close this past few moons."

Sweetpaw, though she didn't really care about relationships, nodded and flicked her tail without speaking. Her sister can love whoever she likes. She froze, seeing a mouse nibbling on a seed a fox-length away.

Flicking her tail for Springpaw to be quiet, Sweetpaw crouched down and stealthily stalked towards her prey. Her senses heightened and the world around her melted into nothing. Time slowed down as she focused on catching the brown furry rodent.

Without warning, Sweetpaw leaped for the small animal, killing it with a swift bite to the neck. Raising her head, the warm body hung limply from her jaws as she padded back to Springpaw.

"Great catch!" The tom purred, looking at the mouse with awe. "You were so silent, even I couldn't hear you!"

Murmuring a quiet thanks, Sweetpaw buried her catch and returned to hunting with the bubbly apprentice chatting away like a starling.

After hunting until sunhigh, the pair successfully caught enough prey and began to head home. Sweetpaw caught another two mice to add to her first, a squirrel, and a rabbit that had strayed into the territory.

Springpaw was carrying two voles, a mouse, and a crow in his jaws. Sweetpaw was surprised at his hunting skill and glanced admiringly at the prey he'd caught in comparison to hers.

Stonesky noticed their return at once, high eyes huge with surprise. "Wow!" He breathed, tail flicking in approval. "Go drop that load off on the prey pile and rest, I'll speak to Poppystar with your mentors."

Dropping her and Springpaw's prey at the pile, Sweetpaw saw Rainpaw and Pounceheart chatting with Cloverpaw and Owlpaw bathing in the sunshine. Padding over, Sweetpaw sat down next to her brother and butted into the conversation.

"What did you guys catch for your assignments?" She asked, licking a white paw and drawing it over her ear lazily.

Rainpaw perked up at her mention of the hunt. "I caught two squirrels and a mouse!" He boasted, eyes shining with pride.

Owlpaw rolled her eyes and butted his shoulder with her head softly. "I caught a sparrow right out of the sky." She competed, eyes dancing with amusement.

Cloverpaw purred with amusement and laughed. "I only managed to catch a thrush and a vole." She meowed shyly and turned to Sweetpaw. "What did you and Springpaw catch?"

"Springpaw caught a crow, mouse, and two voles," Sweetpaw meowed, tail flicking to the tom. "I caught three mice, a squirrel, and a rabbit." Her denmates and Pounceheart gaped at her, eyes wide in awe.

"Sounds like we'll be eating good tonight," Poppystar's meow startled the six cats and Sweetpaw glanced at her leader. "You five will be doing your warrior assessments tomorrow at sunhigh. You best rest while you can so you'll be ready." She suggested before padding away, leaving the apprentices in a stunned silence.