Chapter Fourteen

A moon has passed since Rainshadow got Honeypaw as an apprentice and Sweetscent could see so many things wrong with his training. He and Owltalon got close and poor Cloverbud meowed about Owltalon not liking her anymore. Fury licked at her pelt like a rough tongue on her pelt at the thought of Owltalon leaving her sister heartbroken and shattered.

Right now, Rainshadow and Owltalon were speaking with their voices low and their heads close together. Sweetscent lowered herself to the ground, perked her ears, and listened to their converation.

"Rockstar said that now would be the time to take out one of the medicine cats." Rainshadow was meowing to the she-cat, who nodded. "Tonight, you, me, Rockstar, Thistlehare, Hailtooth, Blazewing, and Fallowhawk will go for one of DawnClan's medicine cats then one of DuskClan's medicine cats."

Sweetscent silently gasped in horror and shock. Her brother was going to murder a medicine cat! Along with Owltalon's help! She shuffled closer, tail lashing.

"We'll go tonight and meet up at Scale Stones," Owltalon meowed, nodding in agreement. The pair began to speak about how they were going to slay the medicine cats, but Sweetscent couldn't keep up with the horror of his brother being a murderer.

"Look out!" Goldentail wailed, eyes wide as she stared up at the sky. Sweetscent looked up and her fur bristled in fear. Hawk! "Protect the kits and elders! Shelter the apprentices!" With a yowl, Sweetscent raced for the warriors den, only to be cut off by a cry.

Honeypaw was crouched in terror as the hawk swooped down to grab the she-cat. Sweetscent snarled and raced across the clearing, striding across with long legs. With a yowl of fury, she flung herself at the bird of prey, crashing into it with her claws unsheathed and sinking into its flesh.

The hawk squawked in pain and snapped at her muzzle, missing by a half whisker. Sweetscent pinned the bird to the ground, tearing its chest with sharp claws. Snarling, she bit at the neck of the hawk and tossed it into the air.

For a few heartbeats, it tried to flap and fly away. Sweetscent chased the bird and leaped into the air, gasps of surprise filling her ears as she tackled the bird and twisted so she would land on her back with the hawk over her.

Once she hit the ground, she took a paw of unsheathed claws and drew it across the hawk's neck. The bird screeched and its eyes burned with pain before it dulled, becoming limp with death.

Throwing it off her with a wheeze, Sweetscent got to her paws and groaned in pain. Her Clanmates were staring at her in shock, most murmuring to others things that Sweetscent hoped weren't vicious.

Suddenly, Whitesnow rushed out of the elders den and flew herself at her kit, licking Honeypaw all over. "My kit!" She wailed, Swiftscar rushing out of the apprentices den and hurrying to his family. "Are you alright, precious?" The worried and concerned mother asked, sniffing her daughter.

Honeypaw glanced down at her paws with embarrassment. "I'm fine, Whitesnow." She mumbled, tail flicking to show her annoyance.

Sweetscent sighed in relief that the young cat hadn't been hurt by the hawk. She looked over and saw Sunkit and Stonekit staring at the dead bird in awe.

"It's huge!" Sunkit breathed, prodding it with a small paw.

"It almost ate Honeypaw!" Squeaked Stonekit, looking up and meeting Sweetscent's gaze with admiration. "You were really brave!"

"Sunkit! Stonekit!" Pounceheart called from the nursery, looking shaken from the sudden attack by the hawk. "Get your tails in here before a hawk snatches the two of you!"

Sunkit looked indignant and shot back while heading for his mother. "Sweetscent would've killed it if it tried!" He sniffed, disappearing into the den with his sister in tow.

"Is every cat okay?" Called Poppystar, her fur ruffled from the rush to find shelter. Her gaze flittered over Sweetscent, making the warrior uncomfortable. "Are you hurt?"

"No, Poppystar." She replied, feeling awkward at the leader's gaze on her pelt.

"I got a thorn in my pad!" Complained Goldentail, limping from her spot under a tree. Her left front paw was in the air as she hobble towards the medicine den where Snowpaw and Emberstripe sheltered.

"I hope that's the only injury we all suffered." Sweetscent caught Springleap's comment and flicked her ear. Honeypaw could've died, but she risked her life to save the apprentice. Why did she feel so off?