THREE

chapter three;
the meeting

"FIVE YEARS AGO, I HAD A HEART ATTACK AND DROPPED RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING" Thaddeus Ross, the secretary of state said. Lucy sighed and leaned into her seat, feeling bored already. Lucy turned to Tony who gave her a disapproving glance. "Turned out, it was the best round of my life, because after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something forty years in the army had never taught me" he continued. "Perspective" he said.

Lucy raised her eyebrows as she watch the man continuing his talk. "The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt" he said. "You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives.. but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some who would use the word 'vigilantes'"

"What word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked.

"How about 'dangerous'?" he said. Lucy furrowed her eyebrows. "What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals, who routinely ignores sovereign borders, and inflict their will wherever they choose, and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" he said. Lucy sighed. I mean, he's not wrong, she thought.

Though, Lucy believed that the Avengers did the best they could. Back in Sokovia, the first thing they did was to evacuate the people. They saved as many people as they can, but they can't save everyone. Their job is to fight the enemies while making sure that the people around it doesn't get involved, and is as safe as possible.

They did a great job at the 'fighting the enemies' part. But keeping the civilians safe, maybe not so much.

Secretary Ross continued to show footage of the damages that they left behind on a fight. Including New York, Washington D.C, Sokovia, Lagos. Lucy's eyes watched them in guilt and horrid. Seeing that some of those damages were caused by her just brings more guilt in her heart. Lucy looked down and played with her fingers, avoiding to see the video as much as she can. "Okay, that's enough" Steve said.

"For four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate" he said. "But, I think we have a solution" he said.

He handed Wanda a thick booklet of what he says as the Sokovia Accords. "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by one hundred and seventeen countries. It states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organisation. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel only when and if that panel deems it necessary" he said.

There are a lot of things that Lucy disagreed with in that statement. "The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel like we've done that" he stated.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Ross asked. "If I misplaced a couple of thirty megaton nukes on earth, there will be consequences" he said. Lucy shrugged.

"But, Thor's not on earth" Lucy said. All eyes turned to her. Secretary Ross raised his eyebrows. As if he's in shock that Lucy would speak up.

"And how would you know that, Ms. Stark?" he asked. Lucy shrugged.

"Twitter" she stated. Secretary Ross raised his eyebrows and Tony turned to her and shook his head in disapproval. "If Thor's on earth, trust me, Mr. Secretary, a video of a muscular, good looking man with long blonde hair being struck by a lightning will be all over Twitter" she said. "For all we know, Thor's chilling in Asgard with a glass of grape god-like wine in his hand, staying unbothered" she said. Secretary Ross opened his mouth to speak, but stopped. He shook his head. Lucy could see Sam smirking slightly. A small smile formed on her lips, but her smile quickly faded as she saw Tony narrowing his eyes at her.

"Anyways, my point is, the Sokovia Accords, it's the middle ground" he said, completely ignoring Lucy's comment.

"So, there are contingencies" Rhodey stated.

"Three days from now the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the accords. Talk it over" he said, before walking towards the door.

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha asked. The Secretary turned to her.

"Then you retire" he said, before walking away. Lucy sunk in her seat as she pulled her hair back out of frustration. Lucy glanced at the team who had the same conflicted look on their faces. Lucy sighed before speaking up.

"What are we going to do about this?"

A/N
hi guys!!! the world is in such chaotic mess right now, but i hope you all stay safe in this time! drink your vitamins, wash your hands, and most importantly, stay inside!!
stay safe!!

(i'll be publishing two chapters just to keep you all out of boredom lmfao)