NINE

chapter nine;
queens

THE NEXT THING LUCY KNEW, SHE WAS ON A PLANE TO QUEENS. Tony took no time to waste, since they literally only have thirty six hours for all of that. Lucy was tired, and very jet lagged since she went from New York to Berlin to Queens just in span two days.

She was planning to sleep for the whole flight, but Tony decided otherwise. "Luce, we need to talk" he said. Lucy looked up at him from her phone and pulled out her headphones.

"Yeah?" she said. "If this is about the whole protection thing I forgive you already. Actually, you're not even wrong, I was just being a moody teenager-" she said. Tony shook his head.

"No no no, shut up, I need to say this" he said. Lucy rolled her eyes. "I just want you to know that everything I do, is all to keep you safe" he said. Lucy smiled and nodded.

"I know, da-"

"I'm not finished" he said. He turned to her. "You and Pepper, even though we're 'on a break'... you guys are the two people that I can't live without and I have to keep you safe" he said. He opened his mouth to speak, but closed it and sighed. "I know I can be annoyingly overprotective, but after everything... after New York and then you went missing.. and after everything... I just can't lose you. Not again" he said. Lucy's eyes started to water, and she stood up from her seat to hug him.

He stroke her brunette hair comfortingly and kissed her head. "I'm sorry, dad" she whispered. He nodded.

"It's none of your fault" he said, shaking his head. "I'm sorry, sweetheart" he replied. Lucy nodded. Tony held her tight in his arms as if she's the world. Well, she is his world. Held in his arms, Lucy felt like a five year old again. Watching the Princess Diaries for the fiftieth time on movie night and Tony memorizing all of the lines of the movie.

"I love you, dad" she said. Tony planted a kiss on her forehead and nodded.

"I love you most" he said. And as she planned, Lucy did fall asleep during the whole flight. But it was better, since she was asleep curled in the arms of her father.

QUEENS,
NEW YORK

"Is this it?" Happy asked as they stopped in front of an apartment complex. Well, Peter Parker's apartment complex. Lucy rolled down her window and looked out to the building. She looked back at her phone to match the building with the address on Peter's file. She nodded.

"Yep. This is it, seventh floor" she said. Tony nodded and got out of the car, Lucy following behind. "So.. what's the plan?" she asked. Tony furrowed his eyebrows.

"What plan?" he asked.

"We're not going to tell his aunt that we're hiring her nephew to fight Captain America right?" she asked. Tony shook his head.

"No, of course not" he said. "We're going to tell her that he's accepted to the internship and whatever" he said as pulled out a fake Stark Internship acceptance letter. Lucy smirked and nodded. He opened the car door and stepped out of the car, Lucy following behind. Happy opened the door for them and they both stepped inside.

"I'll be here!" Happy said. Lucy turned to him and nodded, giving him a thumbs up.

"Which one's his apartment?" Tony asked, looking around the apartment complex. Lucy opened up her phone and pulled out Peter's file.

"Seventh floor" she said. Tony nodded. Lucy took his hand and closed her eyes. As she opened her eyes, they're in front of Peter's doorstep. Tony knocked on the door, and a middle aged woman with brunette hair opened it. Her eyes widened as she realized who they're. Before May Parker could respond, Tony spoke up. "Hi, is this Peter Parker's residence?" he asked as he glanced at the envelope.

She looked like she's at a lost of words, and confusion. "Uh- um.. yeah! This is Peter Parker's residence. What's happening? He's not in trouble is he?" May asked as she glanced at Lucy worriedly. Lucy shook her head and smile at the woman.

"Oh, no not at all! Peter's application for the Stark Internship has been approved and he is accepted at the internship" Lucy smiled as Tony handed her the letter. May furrowed her eyebrows as she opened the letter, her shocked expression still visible on her face.

"Uh.. um Peter's not home from school yet. If you want to wait... you can come in?" she asked, opening the door for Lucy and Tony. Lucy turned to him and shrugged before turning back to May and nodded.

"Yeah, sure" Lucy said, walking into the apartment. The apartment was homey. It was kind of messy, but she couldn't blame May when she's living with a teenage boy. As Lucy and Tony stepped inside, May cleaned the front table and put the laundry basket to the back as she laughed nervously.

"Sorry, the house's a mess!" she said. "We weren't expecting guests and you know how messy a teenage boy can be" she laughed nervously. Lucy nodded and sat on the couch, following Tony's actions.

"Yeah, I can totally understand. This one right here isn't any less messier" Tony said as he pointed at Lucy. She narrowed her eyes at him and he shrugged. May walked back into the living room with cups of tea for both Lucy and Tony.

"Oh, you really don't have to Mrs. Parker" Lucy said.

"It's okay, really. Call me May" she said as she turned to Lucy and smiled. "Anyone wants some walnut date loaf?" she asked. Lucy turned to Tony who gave her a look. She internally groaned and turned to May.

"That sounds great!" Tony said, Lucy nodding in agreement. May walked to the kitchen and came out with a plate of walnut date loaf. "That looks amazing" Tony said. Lucy could hear the lie in his voice and she internally rolled her eyes. May chuckled at Tony's compliment. Thankfully, Lucy didn't need to try the loaf and awkwardly lie about it being good as she heard the sound of the lock of the door clicking.

Peter walked in with his headphone in his ears. Typical. "Hey, May" he said as he set his bag down. Clearly he hadn't notice them yet. A smirk formed on Lucy's face. This is going to be interesting.