SEVENTEEN

chapter seventeen;
he's my family

TONY FIRED AT STEVE, KNOCKING HIM DOWN. Barnes started to shoot at Tony but Lucy was quick to dodge the bullets away. "Don't get me started, Tarzan" she said. Barnes furrowed his eyebrows and Lucy used her energy to lift Barnes off the ground before throwing him to the metal walls on the other side of the room.

Lucy gathered up her energy in her palm, levitating her from the ground. She flew towards Barnes just to have Steve throwing his shield at her ankle, making her lose her balance and fall down. She felt a prickle of blood down her forehead as she hit her head on the ground. She got up to see Tony's hand being stopped by Barnes' metal arm.

The shot that was made for Barnes missed, landing on one of the building's walls, tearing the whole place apart. Lucy held up her hand, creating a barrier on top of her to protect herself from the wreckage. She could see Barnes already opening the roof, trying to escape. She stood up and ran towards him, tackling him to the ground. As she was about to throw a punch at him, his metal arm punched her cheek and she fell.

She could see Barnes climbing up to the roof and Tony following behind with his unstable suit. Lucy stood up and flew up to Tony. She took him by his hand and flew him up to Barnes. Tony punched Barnes, letting him fall down a couple of sections. Lucy was still flying Tony up as he fired at Barnes just to have Steve appearing in front of him, backfiring the shot.

Both Tony and Lucy fell down. "You okay?" he asked as he helped her up. Lucy nodded and took his hand, flying themselves up to where Barnes and Steve were. Everything was a blur. All she knew was that she kicked and punched and knocked Steve and Barnes over, shooting them a surge of energy.

It took her a while to actually process that she's fighting the same Steve who'd spend hours helping her with her History homework. The same Steve that gets too excited on the fourth of July and wake her up super early in the morning as he sings the national anthem. The same Steve who is there for her when Tony is out on a business trip.

But, he is also the same Steve who kept the secret of his friend murdering her grandparents just for the sake of protecting himself. When she remembers that, she punched him harder than she should be.

Meanwhile, Tony was aiming at the opening roof and fired at it, preventing Barnes from escaping. Lucy turned to Steve and pointed her palm at him, creating a bubble around him. She levitated him before throwing him down. Lucy flew up and grabbed Tony on the way, landing him just beside Barnes.

Tony put his arms around Barnes' neck, preventing him to move as he brought him down. Steve came from the corner, unstabilizing Tony's already unstable suit. Resulting in the three of them fell down to the hard concrete surface. But, Lucy was quick enough to create a bubble of energy around Tony, landing him safely.

She quickly teleported down to where Tony was. "This isn't going to change what happened" Steve panted. Tony shook his head.

"I don't care. He killed my mom" he said before he lunged towards Steve. Lucy could see Barnes appearing behind her and she was quick to dodge his metal arm. She pushed him down, feeling a surge of energy in her palm before punching him with it.

Barnes layed on his back as Lucy took that as an opportunity to take Steve's shield. She jumped just behind Steve and use his own shield to knock him out. Barnes was quick to appear behind her and kicked her lower leg, sending her to the ground.

Tony shot Barnes with his lasers, just to have Steve appearing before him, dodging the shot with his shield. Lucy couldn't remember how long it lasted. It could have easily been five minutes, or five hours. It was all just consisted of the four attacking each other out of rage.

It got to a point where Tony shot Barnes' metal hand off of him. Lucy was already drained off of her energy. Her back was on the floor when it all happened. "He was my friend" Steve panted.

"So was I" Tony replied, before shooting. It pains Lucy to hear those words. The person that she considers family switched on her by a couple of minutes. Steve slammed Tony onto the ground and hit him with his shield.

Each hit was harder than before up to the point where Tony's helmet was destroyed. Just before Steve throw another hit to Tony's bare face, Lucy lifted her hand and a spark of silver orbs appears, preventing the shield to touch Tony. "Stay away from my dad" she said through gritted teeth. She slowly stood up, and pulled the shield off of Steve's hand and onto hers.

"Grandad made you this. You don't deserve it anymore" she said, her voice cracking. Her eyes were filled with tears fighting to get out. She noticed a slight pain on Steve's eyes as he nodded and get off of Tony. He walked towards Barnes and picked him up, slowly making their way out of the scene. "A family's supposed to have each other's back no matter what" she said, which made Steve stopped his pace.

The soldier nodded and turned around. "You're right. I'm doing exactly that" he said. "Because he's my family" he said, suggesting to Barnes. He walked away without saying a word. Lucy left that day with not only the scars on her body, but also on her heart; on her trust.

Unfortunately, those scars are the ones which cannot be fixed. She would say she wasn't hurt by Steve's words, but she would be lying. She had spent a generous amount of her life with Steve. He was like an older brother, and a second father figure.

That day, she lost one of her father figure, and the only trust she ever had towards Steve Rogers.

A/N
Hi guys! I'm so so so sorryy for the super super late update! I'm a junior so school has been super hectic rn! Again, I'm really sorry and I hope you all stay safe :))